This post is sponsored by Campbell’s®. As always, all opinions are my own.
Enjoy a hearty comforting dinner with this Slow Cooker Pot Roast with potatoes and carrots! Tender beef is slow cooked in a flavorful sauce to create an easy dinner any day of the week. Options for oven and instant pot are included.
Pot roast is a classic dinner recipe. Add some fresh veggies and a few simple ingredients to create an easy approachable meal that the entire family loves.
This recipe uses one can of Campbell’s® French Onion Soup instead of beef broth to add even more flavor. When you need to save time, Campbell’s soups are a great way to take shortcuts in the kitchen. The French Onion Soup works especially well as a substitute for beef broth in a variety of recipes.
Ingredients You Need
- Beef Chunk Roast – Choose a 3 to 4 pound chunk roast. Other cuts of meat will not be as tender.
- Vegetables – Yukon gold potatoes, carrots and onions cook with the beef roast.
- Campbell’s® French Onion Soup – The soup is a great substitute for beef broth in a roast and helps create even more flavor and keeps the beef moist.
- Water or Beef Broth – This adds more liquid for cooking.
- Spices – Fresh thyme, garlic, salt and pepper enhance the flavor of this dish.
- Balsamic Vinegar – If you don’t have this, you can skip it. It adds a depth of flavor to the roast.
- Olive Oil – This helps sear the beef.
- Cornstarch – This is optional but preferred to thicken the broth to a gravy-like consistency.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast Tips
- Browning the beef is key to the best flavor. Sear the beef on all sides before adding to the slow cooker with the vegetables. This helps lock in flavor and juices.
- Use fresh onions and garlic. Do not use dried onion or garlic powders as they do not add the same amount of texture or flavor.
- Cook low and slow for the best results. You can cook on high in a pinch but the results will not be the same.
- Thicken the broth with cornstarch to make gravy. Do this at the very end of cooking for the best results.
Other Methods for Cooking
Pot Roast in the Oven
First, sear the beef in a large Dutch oven. Set the beef aside on a plate. Sauté the garlic for 30 seconds in the pot, then add the French onion soup and balsamic vinegar. Whisk in the cornstarch and let it thicken for about 4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and transfer to an oven preheated to 325 degrees F. Roast for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is falling apart. A 3 pound roast takes about 3 hours to cook, while a 4 to 5 pound roast takes about 4 hours.
Pot Roast in the Instant Pot
Set an Instant Pot to ‘Saute’ mode. Add olive oil to the pot. Once the oil is hot, sear the beef on all sides until browned. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on manual HIGH pressure for 60 minutes. Allow the pressure to natural release for 15 minutes and then release any remaining pressure manually. Carefully remove the lid and serve.
Make dinner easy with the perfect comfort food. Try this recipe and let us know what you think!
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef Tacos
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Potatoes and Carrots
- 3 to 4 pounds beef chunk roast
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds baby gold potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) Campbell’s® French Onion Soup
- 1/2 cup beef broth, or water
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Minced parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, then sear roast on each side for 4 to 5 minutes until browned.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic and thyme to crock of slow cooker.
- Place seared beef on the vegetables, pouring Campbell’s soup, broth (or water), and vinegar over everything. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl, then stir into liquid in slow cooker. Allow to cook uncovered on high until sauce is thickened into a gravy. Taste and add salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Cut the potatoes in half if they are medium sized potatoes, otherwise leave them whole.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Nutritional information is based on a 3 pound roast.