Four ingredients are all you need to make these delicious savory inspired brown butter and rosemary mashed sweet potatoes!
We’re officially t-8 days until turkey day, who’s getting excited?! I know I am! Danae here from Recipe Runner and as always I’m thrilled to be back with all you lovely Spoonful of Flavor readers! I’m sure many of you are starting to finalize your Thanksgiving menu or maybe you’re like me and you think you have it finalized and then you find 10 more recipes you want to try. Well I’m here today to add one more recipe to your menu and trust me, you are not going to want to pass this one up. Brown Butter and Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes need to happen at your Thanksgiving this year and it’s the one side dish I can say that I have 100% decided that I will be making!
Deciding what I’m going to make for the big dinner is probably the most stressful part of the holiday for me, well that and the crowded grocery store. Being a food blogger along with the desire to make the perfect meal that will blow everyone away causes some crazy anxiety in me when it comes to holiday meals or entertaining. I’ll spend hours looking at recipes trying to decide if it’s the right one or what I could do to make it better, then change my mind five times before settling on something. I’ll even wake up at night and think of something to make, then not be able to fall back to sleep. Clearly I have issues and need to relax.
Generally what happens is that the simplest and least complicated dishes that I make are the ones that everyone loves the most. These brown butter and rosemary mashed sweet potatoes are a perfect example of that. There are only four ingredients needed to make them (not including salt and pepper), but together those four ingredients create one heck of a flavorful side dish!
Most people only think of making sweet potatoes even sweeter with marshmallows, brown sugar, and streusel on top. I however prefer to keep them savory. I think it really let’s to you taste the flavor of the sweet potatoes without overwhelming them with all that sugar. The brown butter adds a delicious nuttiness while the rosemary adds a fresh herb flavor. Combined with the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes, this combination of flavors is sure to win the hearts of your family and friends!
Brown Butter and Rosemary Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes, about 2 1/2 pounds
- 4-5 tablespoons skim milk or milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons butter, browned (here are instructions on how to do it)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, then cut them into chunks and add them to a pot of water.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil and let them cook until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, mince the rosemary and brown the butter.
- When the potatoes are fork tender, drain them then return them to the pot.
- Add in the salt, pepper, minced rosemary, milk and brown butter.
- Use a potato masher to mash them to your desired consistency.
More Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Connect with Danae: