Apple Crumble Bars are made with fresh apples and a butter crumble topping to make a sweet treat for the fall season! This apple bars recipe tastes just like apple crumble or pie but in bar form.
We love apple season. Apple cider, apple crisp, apple donuts – you name it, we love it! So this time of year, apples make their way into a lot of our meals including breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. Balancing clean apple eats with sweet apple treats means you can enjoy apples in a variety of ways. Check out all of my apple recipes here!
Apple crumble topping
To make apple crumble topping, combine flour, oats, sugar, salt and spices in a bowl. Add butter and honey and use your fingers to combine into a crumbly mixture. Add heavy cream and continue to work the dough with your hands. Set aside until you are ready to top the apple crumble or bars.
Apple bars recipe
To make these apple bars, combine butter and sugar together in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add sliced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon. Stir to combine. Turn the heat up to medium and let the mixture simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until thickened.
Whisk in the cornstarch and then smooth out any lumps. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool completely before assembling the bars.
Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper. Pour 3/4 of the apple crumble topping mixture into the pan and firmly press down evenly and into the corners. Spread the apple filling on top, then sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the fruit filling.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or until golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let the bars cool completely before slicing and serving.
Store apple bars
Store the bars in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
When making these bars, make sure to COOL COMPLETELY before cutting or serving to avoid the bars falling apart. You can even pop them in the fridge to cool them down before you serve!
Crumble bars are so simple to make – we usually have all the ingredients in our pantry and switch out the fresh fruit to whatever is in season. With brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and a hint of nutmeg, these crumble bars are bursting with fall flavors. You can make this recipe with whatever apple varieties are stocked at your local grocer, or whichever kind you prefer. This recipe is made with Granny Smith for a crisp tart flavor.
We love to enjoy this treat with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, a dollop of whipped topping and homemade caramel sauce. This is the perfect dessert or treat to enjoy this fall season!
If you love these delicious apple crumble bars then you will love some of our other favorite apple bars recipes. Try one or try them all and then come back and let us know what you think!
Apple bars recipes
- Caramel Apple Cake – Although this is actually a cake, you cut the cake into small bars and serve with our easy homemade caramel sauce.
- Apple Cheesecake Bars – Do we need to say more? Layers of apple, crust and cheesecake combine to create an irresistible bar.
- Apple Butter Bars – a tasty way to use apple butter.
- Apple Crisp Bars – Crispy and so delicious!
- Butterscotch Apple Crumb Cake – Tasty crumb cake bars with butterscotch is too good to resist.
Apple Crumb Bars
For the filling:
- 4 granny smith apples peeled & cubbed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
For the oat crumble:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and sugar together over low heat. Add the apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon and stir. Turn the heat up to medium and let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in the cornstarch, smoothing out any lumps, then remove from the heat. Let cool as completely as possible before assembling the bars.
- Line an 8x8" pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flours, oats, sugar, salt + spices in a bowl. Add the butter and honey and use your fingers to combine into a crumbly mixture. Add cream and continue to work the dough with your hands. Pour 3/4 of the mixture into your prepared pan, firmly pushing it down evenly and into the corners.
- Spread the apple filling on top, then sprinkle the remaining crumble across the fruit mixture. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the bars cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving (otherwise they may be too soft and fall apart). Keep in the fridge until ready to eat.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 285, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 29mg, Sodium: 154mg, Potassium: 164mg, Carbohydrates: 45g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 26g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 375%, Vitamin C: 6.2%, Calcium: 28%, Iron: 1.1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.