Learn how to make easy baked apple cider donuts with this homemade recipe made in less than 20 minutes! These donuts are made with fresh apple cider and taste delicious.
During the fall, we crave everything made with apples – apple pie, apple cider and of course, donuts. These little donuts are baked in the oven and are coated in a cinnamon sugar. Best of all, they are made in less than 20 minutes to create an easy fall treat worth making any day. Grab a glass of apple cider and enjoy this soft and sweet treat!
Steps to Make Apple Cider Donuts
- Step 1: Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Step 2: Add the wet ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Step 3: Spray a donut pan with cooking spray. We use two of these small donut pans. Use a pastry bag or a ziploc bag with the end snipped off to fill each donut cup about 3/4 full.
- Step 4: Bake for 10 minutes.
- Step 5: Mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon a shallow bowl. Brush each donut with melted butter and then toss in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
They are made with apple cider, cinnamon and a few other ingredients. They are frequently sold at cider mills in New England.
Yes, you can freeze cider donuts. We recommend freezing them before coating them in the cinnamon sugar. Store in a sealed container or bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to eat, thaw, cover with a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush with melted butter and then coat in cinnamon sugar.
Store the baked donuts in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature. You can also store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.
These baked donuts are the perfect fall treat. They only require one bowl and are relatively quick and easy. Since they are baked, they are light and fluffy. We love serving them with a cup of cold apple cider or a cup of hot coffee.
Other Apple Recipes
Do you love this recipe?
Subscribe to get new recipes, kitchen tips and more delivered via email:
Baked Apple Cider Donuts
For the donuts:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
To make the donuts:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Add cider, milk, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Mix until well blended.
- Fill each donut cup about ¾ full (I use a pastry bag with the end snipped to do it neatly.) Bake for 10 minutes until donuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
To make the cinnamon-sugar topping:
- Mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl until well combined. Brush each donut with melted butter then toss in cinnamon-sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- These donuts are best fresh, but you can store them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 days.
- These donuts can be frozen, but we recommend freezing prior to coating them in the cinnamon sugar.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and was updated in 2019 and again in October 2020 with new notes and tips.