Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls are a healthier alternative to fried egg rolls and create a tasty treat to enjoy all year long!
Hi everyone! Danae from Recipe Runner here again! Once again Ashley is graciously letting me take over her fabulous blog for the day so that I can share these fantastic Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls with you.
Hands down apple pie is the ultimate all American dessert and while I love it with all my heart, sometimes I don’t have time to fool around with a crust and wait for it to bake. Not to mention having an entire pie in my house is bad news for a girl that lacks pie self control. Sometimes I even start my day with Apple Breakfast Bowls so that I can start and end my day with fresh apple flavors.
These little rolls of apple deliciousness are a perfect substitute for the almighty pie, not to mention they come wrapped up in a nice little package. The filling is your basic apple pie filling with all those glorious flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The “crust”, is these more figure friendly egg roll wrappers (and when I say figure friendly what I’m really saying is we can eat more of them). Finally, the finishing touches of a dusting of cinnamon sugar and a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream complete these portable little rolled up packages of baked dessert egg roll goodness.
Baked apple pie egg rolls recipe
Prepare these baked egg rolls is relatively easy. Serve them with cinnamon whipped cream to create a delectable dessert!
- First, make the apple pie filling by cooking peeled and diced Granny Smith apples, water, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cornstarch until thickened and the apples are soft. Stir in the vanilla.
- Next, spoon some filling into an egg roll wrapper. Fold up the sides of the wrapper and roll tightly. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and then brush each egg roll with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool the egg rolls for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Be very careful because the filling is hot!
Cinnamon whipped cream
To make cinnamon whipped cream, whisk whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add cinnamon, vanilla and powdered sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
When you take that first bite of the Baked Apple Pie Egg Roll, your teeth will bite down into the crisp egg roll shell and your tastebuds will be met with sweet cinnamon apple filling. Seriously you guys, they are so so good, you will fall in love!
We love apple pie inspired desserts! Try a few of our other favorite apple pie desserts below.
Apple Pie Inspired desserts
- Apple Pie Cupcakes – after these egg rolls, these cupcakes are one of my favorite apple pie inspired treats!
- No Bake Apple Pie Bites – these are perfect when you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe just like apple pie.
- Apple Spicy Sheet Pan Pancakes – inspired by the flavors of apple pie, these sheet pan pancakes are perfect for breakfast or snack!
- Classic Apple Crisp – like apple pie filling but with a crisp crumble topping!
Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
For the Apple Filling
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teapoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Egg Rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream cold
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
To Make the Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat add all of the apple filling ingredients except the vanilla and stir together.
- Cook the apples for about 3-4 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Once the apple filling has thickened turn the heat down to medium low, cover with a lid, and cook for another 6-8 minutes or until the apples have softened slightly.
- Remove the filling from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Take one egg roll wrapper, lay it out on a clean, dry cutting board and brush water around each edge. Spoon about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the apple filling into the upper half of the wrapper, leaving a border.
- Fold in the sides and roll up the egg roll tightly.
- Place the egg rolls on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down and repeat until all the filling is gone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes then brush each egg roll with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 5 more minutes then remove from the oven.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving with the Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
To Make the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the 1/2 cup of whipping cream on high until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer off and add in the cinnamon, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Continue to whisk the whipped cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- When assembling the egg rolls be sure to keep the wrappers covered with a damp paper towel as they dry out quickly.
- Don't overfill the egg rolls or they will split in the oven.
- You can prep the apple pie filling in advance and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 149, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 23mg, Sodium: 87mg, Potassium: 55mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 12g, Protein: 1g, Vitamin A: 255%, Vitamin C: 1.4%, Calcium: 18%, Iron: 0.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Connect with Danae: