Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls are a healthier alternative to fried egg rolls and create a tasty treat that tastes just like apple pie! These come together relatively easily for the perfect dessert.
Hands down apple pie is the ultimate all American dessert and while I love it with all my heart, sometimes I don’t have time to fool around with a crust and wait for it to bake. Sometimes I even start my day with an Apple Cinnamon Smoothie so that I can start and end my day with fresh apple flavors.
This recipe was created by Danae at Recipe Runner to share with you. The filling is your basic apple pie filling with all those glorious flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. The recipe uses egg roll wrappers for the “crust”. Finally, the finishing touches of a dusting of cinnamon sugar and a dollop of cinnamon whipped cream complete these portable little rolled up packages of baked dessert egg roll goodness.
These baked apple pie eggs rolls are the perfect fall dessert.
- Kids and adults love them.
- You can enjoy the taste of apple pie without baking an entire pie.
- They come together relatively easily.
- You can bake them in the oven or in your air fryer.
Ingredients You Need
For the Egg Rolls:
- Apples: Use granny smith apples for the best flavor.
- Egg Roll Wrappers: You can find egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store.
- Lemon Juice: Adds flavor to the apple pie filling.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is best.
- Spices: This recipe uses a combination of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.
- Cornstarch: This helps to thicken the filling. You can substitute with arrowroot powder, if desired.
- Vanilla: Adds flavor to the filling.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter works fine. Adds flavor to the baked egg rolls and helps them get that golden brown color.
For the Whipped Cream:
- Heavy Cream: You will need this to make the homemade whipped cream for serving. You can substitute with store bought whipped cream, if desired.
- Powdered Sugar: Used to sweeten the homemade whipped cream.
- Cinnamon: Adds a touch of fall flavor to the whipped cream. You can omit, if desired.
- Vanilla: For a light sweet flavor.
Steps to Make the Recipe
Prepare these baked apple pie egg rolls is relatively easy. Serve them with cinnamon whipped cream to create a delectable dessert!
- Prepare the pie filling. Cook the peeled and diced Granny Smith apples, water, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cornstarch over medium-high heat until thickened and the apples are soft. Stir in the vanilla.
- Layer filling into egg rolls. Spoon some filling into an egg roll wrapper. Fold up the sides of the wrapper and roll tightly. Repeat with the remaining egg rolls.
- Bake the egg rolls. Place the egg rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, seam side down. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and then brush each egg roll with melted butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Cool the egg rolls for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Be very careful because the filling is hot!
To make these in the AIR FRYER, spray the rolls with cooking spray instead of brushing with butter. Air fry for 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, flipping once while cooking.
Cinnamon Whipped Cream Topping
To make cinnamon whipped cream, whisk whipping cream on high speed until soft peaks form. Add cinnamon, vanilla and powdered sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
Serve the whipped cream with the apple pie rolls for the the ultimate dessert.
- Substitute the filling with canned apple pie filling. While the homemade apple pie filling comes together quickly and easily, if you’re in a hurry, you can use canned apple pie filling.
- Do not overfill the rolls. You should have enough filling for 8 egg rolls. Do not overfill or the rolls may break.
- The filling may leak out of the rolls. Some of the juices from the apple pie filling may leak out of the rolls. This is okay.
- Serve the egg rolls with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle with homemade caramel sauce. For even more fall flavors, drizzle these egg rolls with caramel sauce.
When you take that first bite of the Baked Apple Pie Egg Roll, your teeth will bite down into the crisp egg roll shell and your tastebuds will be met with sweet cinnamon apple filling. Seriously you guys, they are so so good, you will fall in love!
We love apple pie inspired desserts! Try a few of our other favorite apple pie desserts below or a classic apple pie recipe.
Apple Pie Inspired Desserts
- Apple Pie Cupcakes – after these egg rolls, these cupcakes are one of my favorite apple pie inspired treats!
- No Bake Apple Pie Bites – these are perfect when you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe just like apple pie.
- Apple Spicy Sheet Pan Pancakes – inspired by the flavors of apple pie, these sheet pan pancakes are perfect for breakfast or snack!
- Classic Apple Crisp – like apple pie filling but with a crisp crumble topping!
Did you make these Apple Pie Egg Rolls? Leave a recipe rating and review below!
Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
For the Apple Filling
- 2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teapoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Egg Rolls
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, cold
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
To Make the Baked Apple Pie Egg Rolls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat add all of the apple filling ingredients except the vanilla and stir together.
- Cook the apples for about 3-4 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Once the apple filling has thickened turn the heat down to medium low, cover with a lid, and cook for another 6-8 minutes or until the apples have softened slightly.
- Remove the filling from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Take one egg roll wrapper, lay it out on a clean, dry cutting board and brush water around each edge. Spoon about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of the apple filling into the upper half of the wrapper, leaving a border.
- Fold in the sides and roll up the egg roll tightly.
- Place the egg rolls on the prepared baking sheet, seam side down and repeat until all the filling is gone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes then brush each egg roll with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 5 more minutes then remove from the oven.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving with the Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
To Make the Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the 1/2 cup of whipping cream on high until soft peaks form.
- Turn the mixer off and add in the cinnamon, vanilla, and powdered sugar.
- Continue to whisk the whipped cream on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- When assembling the egg rolls be sure to keep the wrappers covered with a damp paper towel as they dry out quickly.
- Don’t overfill the egg rolls or they will split in the oven.
- You can prep the apple pie filling in advance and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.