Apple Pie Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting are creamy, sweet and surprisingly easy! Homemade cupcakes don’t get much better than these!
I’ve been in an apple pie mood lately. Apple pie biscuits and now these apple pie cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. I have yet to bake an apple pie this season because I think that the perfect apple pie includes a few Mcintosh apples. I never knew that when I moved to Florida that it would be so difficult to find McIntosh apples. Every few days I head to a different grocery store searching for my favorite apple but have yet to find them this season. I love buying local and seasonal produce, but the New England girl in me is craving some McIntosh apples. I am hoping they make an appearance here in Florida soon.
These cupcakes originally came together on a whim. I needed to bake cupcakes for a party, but rather than just make chocolate and vanilla, I wanted something seasonal too. With apples in my kitchen and the remaining supplies in my pantry, I knew these cupcakes were exactly what I needed to make. Sometimes the best recipes come together last minute. After making a few batches and feeding them to my taste testers, these cupcakes were deemed a winner. They were a huge hit at the party and even Brad, my most critical cupcake tester rated these the best cupcakes that I have ever made.
Surprisingly, these cupcakes are actually relatively easy to make. I started with one of my favorite snickerdoodle cake recipes, added some additional seasonal spices and created a sweet, creamy and irresistible cupcake. The frosting is a simple vanilla buttercream. Why complicate things when the flavor combination is so decadent? And the apple topping comes together in a few minutes.
Apple Pie Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of ground cloves
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups milk
For the apple topping:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 cups peeled and chopped apples
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup water plus 2 tablespoons water divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the cinnamon-sugar topping:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners and set aside.
- Sift together flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Add vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾-full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool in the pan about 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the apple topping:
While the cupcakes are baking, prepare the apple topping. Heat the butter in a medium-large skillet. Stir in the apples, sugar and cinnamon. Heat until the fruit begins to release its juices. Add ¾ cup of water to the pan and bring the mixture to a low simmer. Cook until the apples are just fork tender but not mushy. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of water with the cornstarch, and whisk lightly until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture to the apples and cook 1-2 minutes more, until the mixture has thickened. Let cool thoroughly before topping the cupcakes.
To make the frosting:
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Turn the mixer down to low speed and gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Add in the vanilla and salt and mix until incorporated. Turn the mixer back up to medium-high speed and beat for an additional 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Whisk together the 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Pipe frosting around the edge of each cupcake, leaving a well for the topping. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar topping. Divide apple topping evenly among cupcakes. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationCalories: 492, Fat: 25g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 96mg, Sodium: 82mg, Potassium: 141mg, Carbohydrates: 64g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 48g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 16.2%, Vitamin C: 1%, Calcium: 6.6%, Iron: 4.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Try a few more apple recipes from my friends: