Elevate the flavor of snickerdoodle cupcakes by using brown butter, Nielsen-Massey’s Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste and other fresh ingredients! These Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cupcakes are the perfect treat for any time of the year.
This post is sponsored by Nielsen-Massey Vanillas. I received compensation but all opinions and content are my own.
Baking is one of my favorite ways to clear my mind. It’s relaxing, soothing and the end result is delicious. Over time, I perfected my baking skills by incorporating easy tips and techniques into my baking routine. Now I’m sharing some of the tips I learned with you. Best of all, I’m sharing this recipe for Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. These snickerdoodle cupcakes are an impressive treat that is too good to resist!
Homemade cupcakes taste better than store-bought. They are fresh and packed with more flavor. Once you master a few of the basics of baking, it’s easy to create impressive treats. I partnered with Nielsen-Massey Vanillas, the developers of fine vanillas and flavors to help you “Better Your Bake.” Through their six part series on BetterYourBake.com, Nielsen-Massey Vanillas shares baking techniques, tips and videos to not only make baking easier, but also more delicious!
Each baking technique includes a step-by-step video, pro tips from their team and delicious, seasonal recipes. We incorporate three of the tips into this snickerdoodle cupcake recipe, including “How to Whisk & Separate Eggs“, “How to Brown Butter” and “How to Fill a Homemade Pastry Bag and Pipe“. Head over to their website for all of the tips!
How to make snickerdoodle cupcakes
To make snickerdoodle cupcakes, whisk together sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. We use the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar instead of regular granulated sugar to add even more vanilla bean flavor. Set the cinnamon-sugar aside as this will be used for the topping later.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to combine. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer), beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolk and egg whites separately, mixing well after each addition. We use Nielsen-Massey Vanillas’ tip for How to Whisk and Separate Egg Whites for this step. We love light and fluffy cupcakes and incorporating these steps ensures the best texture for the cupcakes. Add the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract and blend.
In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together milk and Greek yogurt. On low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and liquid in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat until just incorporated.
Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full. Sprinkle the tops of the batter with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar mixture and set aside the remainder.
Bake the cupcakes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
See the recipe below for full ingredients and measurements.
Brown Butter Buttercream Frosting
The frosting is one of the best things about these snickerdoodle cupcakes. We use brown butter to elevate the flavor of the frosting to create an irresistible treat.
To make the buttercream frosting, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. We follow the Better Your Bake method for How to Brown Butter to ensure a perfect result every single time.
Remove the butter from the heat and whisk in the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a heatproof bowl. Refrigerate for 1 hour until firm but not hard.
Transfer the cold browned butter to a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, until incorporated. Drizzle in the heavy creamy and beat until light and fluffy. Add more heavy cream, if needed, to achieve the desired consistency.
How to fill a homemade pastry bag and pipe
Once the frosting is ready, fill a piping bag with the buttercream and swirl onto the cooled cupcakes. We use the Better Your Bake method for How to Fill a Homemade Pastry Bag and Pipe. To begin, using scissors, cut diagonally across a small corner of a resealable plastic bag and place it in a large glass cup and fold the bag over the sides of the cup. Fill the bag 2/3 of the way full and twist closed. Remove your pastry bad from the glass and begin piping. We use a large open star tip or closed star tip for piping. if you are cutting the bag yourself and want to create custom tips – for smaller, more intricate designs, cut a very small corner of the plastic bag. For a round tip, cut the corner of the bag in a curved line instead of straight across.
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
Nielsen-Massey Vanillas produces high quality and reliable vanilla products and flavors, which is why we love using them. Each vanilla bean is hand-picked, hand-cured and carefully inspected to ensure that it upholds to their strict quality standards. All Nielsen-Massey products are all-natural, allergen-free, Non-GMO Project Verified and certified Kosher and gluten-free.
We use the Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract in the cupcake to yield the best texture and flavor. Vanilla from Madagascar has a sweet, creamy flavor with velvety after-tones. It makes for a great all-purpose vanilla and is perfect for sweet or savory recipes.
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
The Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste is made from the vanilla bean extract along with real bean specks from the vanilla pod. The flavor is sweet, creamy and mellow. The paste has a thick consistency – similar to molasses or honey – which means you can add even more delicious vanilla flavor without thinning out the batter. We love using it in frosting because it adds the visual flair of vanilla bean specks.
Vanilla is a pantry staple that we always have available in our kitchen. It’s a versatile product used to elevate the flavor of any dish. Visit nielsenmassey.com for more info and availability of all fine vanillas and flavors.
Snickerdoodle cupcakes are too good to resist! They pack the perfect amount of fall flavor and are enjoyed all year long. If you want to add some additional flair, top each cupcake with a mini snickerdoodle cupcake.
Visit BetterYourBake.com to find baking myths, baking tips and a baking Q&A with Food Network’s “Challenge” Champion and world-renowed cake designer Marina Sousa. Follow Nielsen-Massey Vanillas on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter, for additional recipe inspiration.
Other fall cupcake recipes
- Apple Pie Cupcakes – apple pie with a cupcake twist!
- Sweet Potato Cupcakes – mini sweet potato cupcakes with marshmallow frosting.
- Hot Chocolate Cupcakes – a warm and comforting cupcake treat!
Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
For the Cinnamon-Sugar
- 3 tablespoons Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Sugar, or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, (200g)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (114g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, (100g)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, (56g)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, (140g)
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature (120g)
For the Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (224g)
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted (480g)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons heavy cream , (60-90ml)
- Whisk 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon together in a small bowl; set aside.
- To make the snickerdoodle cupcakes, preheat oven to 400° F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg yolk and egg whites separately, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and blend.
- Add milk and Greek yogurt in a liquid measuring cup and whisk to combine.
- On low speed, alternate adding dry ingredients and yogurt/milk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle the tops of each cupcake batter with about ½ teaspoon of cinnamon-sugar mixture, reserving the remainder.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º F and bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the brown butter buttercream frosting, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown and fragrant.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla bean paste. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a small heatproof bowl. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, or until firm but not hard.
- Place cold browned butter to a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time until incorporated. Drizzle in heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy, adding more if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Fill a piping bag with butter cream and swirl onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle tops of cupcakes with remaining cinnamon sugar.