Spicy Peanut Grilled Chicken Kebabs are an easy chicken kebab recipe made with a peanut butter marinade! Fire up your grill and try this fresh and flavorful chicken kebab recipe today.
This post is sponsored by the National Peanut Board. I received compensation, but all opinions and content are my own.
Fire up your grill! Grilling season is here. Spicy peanut grilled chicken kebabs are packed with flavor and ready in less than 25 minutes. These chicken kebabs are inspired by peanut chicken and are a fun twist on chicken satay. They are perfect for grilling season!
We love making these spicy peanut grilled chicken kebabs because they are made from a few simple ingredients. Most of the ingredients for the marinade you probably already have in your pantry. We use peanut butter as the main ingredient for a tasty, nutritious boost. Peanut butter helps create that savory nutty flavor that keeps us coming back for more!
How to make chicken kebab marinade
Use simple ingredients for a chicken kebab marinade. These ingredients are probably already in your pantry. Best of all, the sauce is both a marinade for the chicken and a dip!
Whisk together all the marinade ingredients. Set aside half of the marinade for a dip and then brush the chicken some of the remaining. While grilling the chicken, turn and brush with the remaining sauce.
Ingredients in this peanut marinade
- Creamy peanut butter: The peanut butter is the star of this recipe. It adds peanut butter flavor and a creamy texture to the marinade. Peanut butter also packs eight grams of protein, two grams of fiber and 12 grams of unsaturated fat per two tablespoon serving.
- Garlic: Never forget the garlic!
- Soy sauce: The main liquid in this sauce is sauce soy. It enhances the flavor of the chicken and vegetables used in these kebabs. Adding it to the marinade helps create a smooth texture.
- Water: The water helps to smooth out the sauce. Add more or less as needed until the best consistency is reached.
- Honey: The honey adds a touch of sweetness.
- Lime juice: Add that fresh crisp flavor with lime juice. Citrus is always a great addition to marinade and lime juice pairs well with soy sauce, garlic and ginger.
- Red pepper flakes: Because we want to add a hint of spice to this dish, we use red pepper flakes. Add more or less depending on your taste for spice.
- Ginger: Ginger is always a must for any spicy sauce. It pairs well with the other ingredients to create a mild sauce with a hint of spice. Add a little more ginger for additional spice, if desired.
How to make spicy peanut grilled chicken kebabs
Season strips of chicken with salt and pepper. Thread the chicken onto skewers with the bell pepper chunks and sliced squash. Set them aside until the marinade is ready.
Whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, water, lime juice, honey, red pepper flakes and ginger. Add additional water to thin the sauce, if needed. The sauce should be smooth and creamy. Set aside half of the sauce for dipping.
Brush the chicken and vegetables with some of the remaining sauce, then lightly spray with cooking spray. The cooking spray helps to create a barrier between the kebabs and the grill so that they don’t stick.
Cook the skewers for 10 to 12 minutes, turning and brushing with the remaining sauce while cooking. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
Tips for making grilled chicken kebabs
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 10 to 20 minutes. Metals skewers do not need soaking.
- Add your favorite seasonal vegetables to the kebabs. We love using bell peppers and summer squash.
- Grill the kebabs over medium high heat.
- Cook the kebabs for about 10 minutes total or until the chicken is no longer pink. The internal temperature on an instant read thermometer should reach 165 degrees.
- Use a flavorful marinade like this spicy peanut marinade. Peanut butter adds the best texture and flavor and creates an irresistible marinade plus a sauce for dipping.
- Prep the kebabs on the skewers up to a day in advance and then keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to grill.
If you’re looking for a tasty dessert to enjoy with these grilled chicken kebobs, try our popular 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies or flourless brownies with peanut butter frosting. The more peanut butter, the better! Click here for more peanut inspired recipes.
Spicy Peanut Grilled Chicken Kebabs
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into strips
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 2 small yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Immerse 8 long wooden skewers in water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Thread onto skewers along with bell pepper chunks and sliced squash.
- Place the peanut butter, soy sauce, water, lime juice, honey, red pepper flakes, and ground ginger in a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth, adding more water to thin the sauce as needed. Reserve half of the sauce for dipping.
- Brush chicken and veggies with some of the remaining sauce, then spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Coat gas grill grates with cooking spray (or grill pan) and preheat on medium-high heat.
- Place skewers on grill, cover, and cook 4-5 minutes. Turn and brush with remaining sauce, then cook 2-3 more minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Garnish with freshly chopped peanuts and cilantro. Serve with dipping sauce on the side.