Cook these crispy and flavorful Air Fryer Chicken Thighs for dinner tonight or any night! They marinate in a simple cilantro lime sauce to create a delectable family friendly addition to dinner.
When you’re looking for something fast or dinner, these air fryer chicken thighs are the perfect option. They are coated in a simple cilantro lime marinade and cook in the air fryer in less than 15 minutes.
If you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry, you can bake these in the oven too. Instructions for baking in the oven are included below.
Why I Love Chicken Thighs in the Air Fryer
- Cooking chicken thighs in an air fryer is faster than the oven.
- The chicken is crispy, juicy and flavorful, just like cooking it in the oven.
- You don’t need to turn on the oven! Or you can cook these in the air fryer, while something else in baking in the oven.
Ingredients You Need
- Chicken Thighs: Use bone-in skin-on chicken thighs for the best texture and flavor. You can use boneless chicken thighs, but the cook time will need to be adjusted.
- Cooking Oil: Always use high quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Seasonings: Lime juice, paprika, garlic powder and chili powder create a simple seasoning. Add fresh cilantro for additional flavor.
A note on the cilantro: You can omit the cilantro if you want or reduce the amount to 2 tablespoons for less cilantro flavor.
How to Air Fry Chicken Thighs
- Pat the chicken dry. This is the first step to ensure that the skin turns out nice and crispy.
- Prepare the marinade. Whisk together the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl – lime juice, olive oil, chili powder, cilantro, garlic powder and paprika. Add the chicken and toss to coat. We suggest marinating the chicken for at least 30 minutes for the best flavor, but you can skip this if you’re short on time.
- Air Fry. Add the chicken to the air fryer, skin side up and cook for 14 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
BAKING IN THE OVEN: Instead of air frying these chicken thighs, you can bake them in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the temperature registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
For bone-in skin on chicken thighs , air fry at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes. For boneless chicken thighs, air fry at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 11 to 12 minutes.
You want to air fry them until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer and the juices run clear. Cook time can vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken, so always use a thermometer to check internal temperature.
Yes, you can put raw chicken directly into the air fryer with seasonings or marinades. Cook until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
You can also reheat cooked chicken in an air fryer.
You can cook chicken thighs in the air fryer at any temperature between 360 degrees Fahrenheit and 380 degrees Fahrenheit. Cook until the juice run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. We find the perfect temperature and time to be 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 14 minutes.
You don’t need to flip the chicken because the air fryer circulates the air around the chicken. However, if you want them extra crispy, you can flip once in the middle of cooking.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the redrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat the cooked chicken in the air fryer, set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until warmed through.
Serve these chicken thighs with a simple side like Air Fryer Carrot Fries, Air Fryer Green Beans, Turmeric Coconut Rice, Garden Salad, rice or a simple vegetable.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Cilantro Lime Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- 1 pound bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Olive oil spray, for cooking
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, cilantro, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder and paprika and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat the chicken evenly.
- (Optional) Place the bowl in the refrigerator to allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and add the chicken thighs, skin side up.
- Cook for 14 minutes at 375 degrees, or until the internal temperature of the chicken registers 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant read thermometer.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Air fryer for the win! I love finding new recipes to make in my favorite kitchen appliance. These were perfectly seasoned. The cilantro gives it a perfect kick. Even my son who doesn’t like cilantro ate these – it’s a very good seasoning blend.
These chicken thighs were amazing! Can’t wait to make them again!