This easy recipe for Turmeric Coconut Rice makes flavorful rice with a light coconut flavor. Made with only four basic ingredients, it’s the perfect side dish for any meal.
Making your food with a side of rice is always a good idea. Rice is very filling and pairs well with so many different flavors and side dishes. But adding the flavors and benefits of coconut milk and turmeric take rice to another level that is not only delicious but health-promoting too.
Turmeric is a root that is related to the ginger plant. It has a deep golden yellow-orange color which is popular in curries and Indian cooking. It is known to have many health benefits in addition to its great flavor.
Adding coconut milk and fresh turmeric to rice creates an easy yet delicious side dish.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This coconut basmati rice recipe is made with only 4 ingredients – rice (jasmine or basmati), turmeric, coconut milk and coconut oil.
- Everything cooks in one pot.
- The rice is a beautiful orange color that pairs well with a variety of meals.
- The coconut turmeric rice is light, fluffy and flavorful.
Ingredients You Need
- Jasmine Rice – This fragrant rice is the perfect texture and soaks in flavors very well. You can substitute with basmati rice, if needed.
- Coconut Oil – The oil infuses the rice with a light coconut flavor when toasted. You can substitute with olive oil, but coconut oil is preferred for the best flavor.
- Fresh Turmeric – Use fresh turmeric for the best color and flavor. If you can’t find fresh turmeric, you can replace it with 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric for a similar flavor. Make sure the ground turmeric was recently purchased and not expired.
- Coconut Milk & Water – You can use full fat coconut milk or reduced fat coconut milk. Full fat coconut milk has more flavor and will create a creamier texture. Make sure to use unsweetened coconut milk. You also need water to cook the rice. However, you can substitute the water with vegetable broth, if desired.
- Salt and Pepper – To season and balance the flavor of the rice.
How to Make Turmeric Coconut Rice
This rice dish comes together easily on the stovetop in one pan.
Before cooking the rice, you need to rinse the rice. Place the jasmine rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly. The water should run clear once it’s been rinsed. Drain and set aside. Rinsing the rice is important because it will remove the excess starch in the rice which helps to create fluffy rice.
- Toast the rice – Add the coconut oil to a medium saucepan over high heat. Once hot, add the rice and stir to toast in the oil for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Watch the rice carefully, as it can burn quickly.
- Flavor the rice – Add the turmeric and stir to combine.
- Cook the rice – Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot with a lid, lower the heat to a low simmer and cook until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Season the rice – Turn off the heat, add the salt and pepper and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Adjust cooking time, as needed. Depending on what kind of rice you use, cooking time may need to be adjusted for a longer cook time.
- Add a light curry flavor by using a pinch of your favorite dried curry seasoning to the rice.
- Add a squeeze of lime juice and toss with fresh cilantro at the end for even more flavor.
- Give the rice some heat by adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the water or a few slices of jalapeño. Remove the jalapeño after cooking the rice.
Turmeric Coconut Rice is a versatile side dish that pairs well with a variety of flavors. Serve it with your favorite protein for a complete meal.
- Pan Fried Cod
- Cilantro Lime Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Teriyaki Glazed Salmon
- Baked Coconut Chicken Tenders
- Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Thai Mango Salad
Did you make this Turmeric Coconut Rice? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Turmeric Coconut Rice
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric , (about 1" piece)
- 14 ounces coconut milk, (1 can)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse thoroughly. Drain and set aside.
- Add the coconut oil to a medium sized saucepan over high heat. Once hot, add the rice and toast in the oil for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the grated turmeric and continue to stir to combine.
- Pour the coconut milk and water into the pot, stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot with a lid, lower the heat to a low simmer and cook until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the salt and pepper and fluff the rice with a fork.