These Easy Buckeye Bars come together with a few basic ingredients. They require no baking and less than 20 minutes of prep before chilling. They are the perfect chocolate peanut butter dessert.
Chocolate and peanut butter is always a winning combination. These peanut butter chocolate bars are too good to resist. One bite is enough to satisfy your sweet tooth, but you’ll likely be going back for more. Two delicious layers combine for one tasty treat.
Have you had Buckeyes? They are a delicious treat of soft peanut butter filling partially coated in a chocolate shell. This recipe takes everything you love about buckeyes and makes them into bar form.
Buckeye bars melt in your mouth and are perfect for sharing!
Why You’ll Love Them
They taste just like Reeses peanut butter cups and come together easily. A peanut butter layer is topped with a layer of chocolate. They are great for in the summer when you don’t want to turn on the oven or for the holidays when you’re looking for a sweet treat.
These buckeye bars require no baking and only 10 minutes of prep before chilling in the refrigerator.
This recipe is naturally gluten free.
Ingredients You Need
- Peanut Butter: Always use creamy peanut butter to help create the smooth texture. This recipe has been
- Chocolate Chips: Dark or semisweet chocolate works best, however you can use whatever you have on hand. You can use chopped chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Powdered Sugar / Confectioners’ Sugar: Do not substitute with regular granulated sugar, as it will not yield the same result.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter is fine.
- Coconut Oil: The coconut oil is necessary to help keep the right consistency and shine for the chocolate.
- Vanilla: Adds flavor.
- (Optional): Add flakey sea salt to the top of the bars for a subtle saltiness.
How to Make Buckeye Bars
This recipe comes together easily. You do not need to bake peanut butter or chocolate layers. After a few hours in the refrigerator they are ready to enjoy.
- Make the Peanut Butter Layer – Combine the ingredients for the peanut butter layer in a bowl before transferring the peanut butter mixture to a 9×9 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
- Make the Chocolate Layer – Use a microwave safe bowl to melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Pour the chocolate over the top of the peanut butter layer and use a spoon or spatula to push into an even layer.
- Chill the buckeye bars in the refrigerator until hardened – about 2 hours.
You can sprinkle flaked sea salt on top of the bars, if desired. This helps create a sweet and salty flavor combination.
- Use good quality chocolate. A chopped chocolate bar or chocolate chips works great.
- Add flakey sea salt for additional flavor.
- Don’t forget the parchment paper. Lining the baking pan with parchment paper allows you to remove the bars easily.
- Storage: Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They should not be stored at room temperature as they may soften or melt.
Easy Buckeye Bars are too good to resist. The two layers melt in your mouth for the perfect peanut butter and chocolate combination. You can enjoy these bars any time of the year, but they are especially great around the holidays. Slice them into individual portions and serve at dinner parties, holiday events and more.
Other Easy No Bake Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bars
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake
- Cookie Dough Truffles
- Dark Chocolate Almond Clusters
Did you make these chocolate peanut butter bars? Leave a recipe rating and review below!
Easy Buckeye Bars
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, optional
- Flakey sea salt, optional
- Line a square 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add the butter and peanut butter to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the vanilla extract and then slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, allow the mixer to run on low speed until it all comes together in a ball.
- Transfer the peanut butter to the parchment lined pan and pack it down, making sure to press it all the way to the edges.
- Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small, microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the peanut butter layer and use a spoon or offset spatula to push the chocolate into an even layer.
- Transfer the bars to the refrigerator and allow them to sit until the chocolate has fullly hardened – about 2 hours.
- Slice the bars and top with flakey sea salt, if desired.
- Chocolate Chips: Dark or semi-sweet chocolate works best, but you can use whatever you have on hand.