A delicious pasta with spring flavors that you can make all year. This Lemon Pasta with Peas recipe combines simple flavors in the Instant Pot to create a delectable creamy pasta dinner. Option to cook on the stove top is included!
This recipe makes the perfect easy pasta dinner any day of the week. The entire meal cooks in the Instant Pot to make cooking and clean up a breeze. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, optional instructions for cooking this meal on a stove top are also included.
Simple flavors combine to create a comforting pasta dinner worth sharing. Pasta noodles are coated in a simple lemon pasta sauce made with Parmesan, heavy cream and fresh lemon. Add frozen peas for additional color and flavor.
This recipe takes only 5 minutes to prep and is ready in less than 20 minutes!
Ingredients You Need
- Pasta: Penne Pasta works great, but you can substitute with a similar type of dried pasta – farfalle, orecchiette and cavatappi are all great options.
- Frozen Peas: They add color and flavor. You could also use asparagus.
- Heavy Cream: You can substitute with half and half, if needed.
- Cheese: Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for the best flavor.
- Lemon: One fresh lemon yields lemon zest and juice.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic, minced.
- Cooking Oil: Use a combination of olive oil and butter for cooking.
Steps to Make Instant Pot Lemon Pasta
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta, water and salt. Attach the lid and set the valve to the sealing position. Pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- Carefully manually release the pressure. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot, stir and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes, until everything is warmed through.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan for the best flavor. Serve with additional Parmesan.
- Add cooked protein such as chicken, fish or shrimp.
- Add more or less lemon juice, as desired.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or crushed red pepper flakes. Chopped parsley or basil are a great addition.
STOVE TOP INSTRUCTIONS: Thaw the peas and bring them to room temperature. Cook the pasta noodles according to package instructions. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat until warmed. Add the garlic, Parmesan cheese, butter, lemon juice and lemon zest. Drain the pasta when done, return to the pan. Pour in the sauce and peas. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
This easy pasta dinner with a light sauce is a great choice any day of the week. It’s perfect for the entire family and comes together quickly.
STORAGE: This recipe tastes great as leftovers or served at room temperature. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Other Instant Pot Pasta Dinners
Instant Pot Lemon Pasta with Peas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 16 ounces penne pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Place the Instant Pot on the Saute-Normal function. Add the olive oil and garlic and cook until fragrant – about 2 minutes.
- Add the pasta, water and salt – no need to stir.
- Attach the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Turn the instant Pot to pressure cook for 4 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot has finished, release the pressure by switching the valve to the "venting" position – be careful, it will steam!
- Add the remaining ingredients (parmesan, cream, butter, lemon juice, lemon zest and peas) and stir to combine.
- Place the lid back on the Instant Pot (it should be on the keep warm setting) and let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the peas have warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pasta: You can substitute with any dried pasta you like – farfalle, orecchiette and cavatappi are all great options.