Toasted Coconut Soft Sugar Cookies combine everything you love about your favorite store-bought sugar cookie with homemade buttercream frosting and toasted coconut!
‘Tis the season for cookies! No matter where you are, cookies are everywhere. As soon as the calendar says December, everyone starts baking cookies. I love baking cookies for others so I am more than happy to join in the fun. Each year I dedicate an entire weekend to baking cookies, making fudge and other tasty homemade goodies. My royal iced sugar cookies and cookie dough truffles are always on my list of recipes of recipes to make. This year, I’m hosting a small “Cookies and Cocoa party” for close friends and family and will be making another batch of these Toasted Coconut Soft Sugar Cookies to serve.
Soft sugar cookies are similar to the Lofthouse style that you can buy at the store. Homemade cookies are always more fresh and flavorful than store-bought. They are soft, delicate and sweet. Kids and adults will love them and they are really easy to make. You won’t be able to eat just one and you will keep going back for more.
The coconut flavor is subtle but if you don’t like coconut, you can simply omit the toasted coconut and use vanilla extract in the frosting. They will taste just as good.
What are your favorite cookies to make for the holidays? Do you make the same recipes every year or experiment with new cookies each year? Whether you are hosting a cookie party or baking cookies to share with friends, I hope that you include these Toasted Coconut Soft Sugar Cookies. I promise that you will not be disappointed!
Toasted Coconut Soft Sugar Cookies
For the cookies:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened, (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla or coconut extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut, lightly toasted*
- To make the cookies, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sour cream until light in color. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in two additions, mixing well after each addition.
- Using a small cookie scoop, form dough into 2" balls and place on a prepared cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Press the cookie balls flat with the back of a spoon or the bottom of a glass dusted with flour.
- Bake cookies for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the bottom of the cookies are lightly brown. Carefully remove the cookies from the cookie sheet and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the confectioners' sugar. Mix until well blended. Add vanilla or coconut extract and one tablespoon of heavy cream. Blend until smooth. Add an additional tablespoon, until you reach the desired consistency. Beat on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy, about 5 additional minutes. Spread frosting onto cookies and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Other holiday cookies you will love:
Chocolate and Vanilla Swirl Cookies
These look so good! Coconut cookies are an amazing idea!
Thanks for sharing at Bloggers Spotlight!
These look fantastic! I love the simple, elegant look of the white frosting and toasted coconut together. I bet they make the house smell amazing while they’re baking, too!
These look so good! Printing off the recipe! Thanks for sharing over at Funtastic Friday! –you’re on of the host picks for this week 😉
Oh yum! It sure is cookie time. Thanks for sharing at the Inspiration Spotlight party. Shared. Happy Holidays!
These look amazing! I love coconut. Pinned and sharing! Thank you for joining us at Family Joy Blog Link-Up Party.