Learn how to make this homemade pumpkin pie from scratch with a homemade pie crust and pumpkin filling. It’s a classic pie that you will love! Detailed step by step instructions and tips are below.
Homemade pie is a must for your Thanksgiving or holiday table. Haley here from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen and today I’m sharing a basic homemade recipe where both the crust and filling are made from scratch.
This recipe makes a rich, spiced pumpkin filling with a buttery, flaky homemade crust. It’s quite easy to make this homemade classic pie!
Ingredients to Make Pumpkin Pie
For the Dough:
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Note on the Pumpkin Puree: To make this recipe completely from scratch, use Homemade Pumpkin Puree. It’s easy and tastes amazing. You can also use canned pumpkin puree. Do not use canned pumpkin pie filling.
- Note on Spices: You can use 2 1/4 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of the individual spices, if desired.
Steps to Make the Pie Crust
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and chilled butter pieces in a food processor.
- Pulse until the butter is processed into pea-sized pieces, about 15 seconds. You can also use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture instead of using a food processor.
- Add one tablespoon at a time to the mixture and process until the dough begins to come together (about 3 tablespoons, but if necessary add more.)
- Small butter pieces will still be visible in the dough.
- Remove dough from the bowl and form into a disc about one inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
Shaping the Pie Crust
- Roll the dough into a 13-inch diameter and transfer to an 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
- Trim the dough to about 1 inch beyond the edge of the pan. Crimp around the edge with your thumb and pointer finger to form a pattern around the edge of the pie.
- Place a round sheet of parchment paper on the pie dough and fill with pie weights or beans before baking.
- Bake and then remove the weights and parchment paper.
Prepare the filling in a medium saucepan. Then, pour into the crust and bake. Allow the pie to cool completely at room temperature then place in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- Avoid droplets of water on the pie by making sure to include the cornstarch in the mix and remove the pie from the oven with the center is still a little jiggly. It also helps cool the pie completely at room temperature before placing in the refrigerator.
- Always make the crust from scratch.
- You can also use homemade Pumpkin Puree instead of canned.
- Store the pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Easy Pie Recipes
Best Pumpkin Pie
For the Homemade Pie Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons ice water
For the Pie Filling:
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree, (or 2 cups fresh homemade puree)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream,, cold
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
To make the pie crust:
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt and chilled butter pieces. Pulse the mixture just until the butter is processed into pea-sized pieces—about 15 seconds. Do not over-process.¹
- One tablespoon at a time, sprinkle ice water through food chute and process just until dough begins to come together (I used exactly 3 tablespoons, but if necessary add more ice water). Small butter pieces should still be visible in dough.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a disc about one inch thick. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before rolling.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease pie pan lightly with butter to hold pastry in place.
- Sprinkle workspace and rolling pin lightly with flour. Roll dough from center outward into a 13-inch diameter.
- Transfer the pie dough to pie plate and gently press the dough to the inside of pan and up the sides. Trim dough to about 1 inch beyond edge of pan. Turn edge of pastry under and press with thumb and pointer finger to crimp around the edge forming a pattern.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on pie dough and fill with pie weights or beans. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the weights and parchment.
To make the pie:
- While the crust is baking, prepare the filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, sugar, salt and spices. Bring the mixture to a low simmer, cook for 5 minutes.²
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cold cream and vanilla extract. Add the eggs one at a time and beat by hand until incorporated—about 1 minute. Then sprinkle the cornstarch in and whisk till combined.
- Pour filling into the warm pie crust, return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes at 400° F. Lower the temperature to 350° F and continue baking for 40 minutes or until the center jiggles slightly when moved.³
- Remove pie from the oven and cool completely at room temperature, then place in the refrigerator to cool completely. Serve pie chilled or at room temperature with fresh whipped cream.
- Alternatively, you may use a pastry blender to cut butter into the flour mixture.
- Filling may brown slightly—that is okay!
- During the last half of the baking time, the filling will expand and rise, it will fall as it cools and will become completely flat.
- Store pie in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
This recipe was originally published in November 2018 and was updated in October 2020 with new process photos and tips.