Homemade Blueberry Pie is a classic recipe that everyone loves! Made with an easy pie crust, fresh blueberries, lime juice and a hint of sweetness.
Blueberry pie is my favorite pie! It’s classic, delicious and easy to make. Homemade blueberry pie is made with only a few ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. You can even use store-bought pie crust to make it even quicker and easier.
Best blueberry pie recipe
Blueberry pie is the perfect last minute pie. It’s made with only a few ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. It’s made with pie crust, fresh blueberries, limes, flour, sugar and egg. That’s it! You can even substitute the homemade pie crust for store-bought pie crust. Although we always recommend the homemade pie crust for the best texture and flavor. It’s inexpensive and easy to make too!
How to make pie crust
We use this easy homemade pie crust anytime we make a fruit pie. It is simple, easy to handle, uses butter instead of shortening and tastes delicious. We use a simple lattice top for this pie but feel free to use any type of crust. Prep the dough in advance and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
To make the pie dough, combine flour, sugar and salt in the medium bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix briefly to blend. Add the butter and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the largest pieces no larger than small peas. Add water and mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Classic pie recipes
For the pie dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons very cold water
For the pie filling:
- 3 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup flour
- zest and juice from 2 limes
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon. cold water for egg wash
- To make the pie dough, combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix briefly to blend. Add the butter and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the largest butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the water and mix on low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pie, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, split the ball of dough into two halves. Roll out each half of the dough to create a top and bottom pie crust. Line a 9 inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blueberries, 1 ¼ cup sugar, flour and the zest and juice of the two limes. Mix well. Pour the mixture into the crust lined pie plate and top with the top crust. Cut of excess dough. Press the top and bottom crust edges together to seal. Cut slits for ventilation and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the top. Cover the edge of the pie with a pie shield and bake for one hour. If the top starts to over-brown, place tin foil over the top.
- You can use store-bought pie crust instead of the homemade, if desired.
- We always recommend fresh blueberries for this recipe. You can use frozen blueberries but it may adjust the texture slightly.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 408, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 106mg, Potassium: 134mg, Carbohydrates: 63g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 34g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 550%, Vitamin C: 11.5%, Calcium: 18%, Iron: 1.9%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.