Homemade Blueberry Pie is a classic recipe that everyone loves! Made with an easy pie crust, fresh blueberries, lime juice and a hint of sweetness.
My oh my, I love this blueberry pie! I have to admit, this pie was a last minute decision. I didn’t really have plans to make anything in particular for the 4th of July. I was pretty busy the week prior and since the 4th is usually a pretty casual holiday anyway, I tried not to worry about making anything special.
We had plans to get together with my family and my dad had mentioned he was craving a blueberry pie. I happened to come across this recipe just the day prior and had a bunch of blueberries I need to use. I am really glad I didn’t wait to make this pie because it is incredibly simple and delicious. The lime zest and juice really enhances the flavor of the pie.
The recipe for the pie dough is a recipe I use whenever I make any kind of fruit pie. It is simple, easy to handle, uses butter instead of shortening, and tastes delicious. I used a lattice top for this pie but feel free to use whatever type of crust you like. You can even prep the dough in advance and chill in the refrigerator until you are ready to use.
For the pie dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 tablespoons (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 6 tablespoons very cold water
For the pie filling:
- 3 pints fresh blueberries
- 1 ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup flour
- zest and juice from 2 limes
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon. cold water for egg wash
- To make the pie dough, combine the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix briefly to blend. Add the butter and mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the largest butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the water and mix on low speed just until the dough comes together.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- To make the pie, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, split the ball of dough into two halves. Roll out each half of the dough to create a top and bottom pie crust. Line a 9 inch pie plate with the bottom crust. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the blueberries, 1 ¼ cup sugar, flour and the zest and juice of the two limes. Mix well. Pour the mixture into the crust lined pie plate and top with the top crust. Cut of excess dough. Press the top and bottom crust edges together to seal. Cut slits for ventilation and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar over the top. Cover the edge of the pie with a pie shield and bake for one hour. If the top starts to over-brown, place tin foil over the top.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 408, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 9g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Sodium: 106mg, Potassium: 134mg, Carbohydrates: 63g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 34g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 11%, Vitamin C: 13.9%, Calcium: 1.8%, Iron: 10.3%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.