Brown Butter Snickerdoodles are the perfect cookies for any time of the year! We used browned butter in addition to the usual cinnamon and sugar flavors delicious treat for everyone.
Cookies, cookies and more cookies! Who doesn’t love cookies? And these snickerdoodles are a classic cookie with a delicious twist. We used brown butter in this recipe to add even more flavor. This easy recipe is the perfect Christmas cookie recipe or any time of the year!
What exactly is a snickerdoodle?
A snickerdoodle is a delicious cinnamon sugar cookie recipe made with a few standard ingredients like butter, sugar and flour. The cookies are rolled in cinnamon sugar.
How to make brown butter snickerdoodle cookies
This cookie recipe creates soft flavorful cookies.
- Step 1: Whisk together the flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Step 2: In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Step 3: Brown the butter. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat until the butter foam subsides and the butter turns a nut brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Swirl the pan occasionally.
- Step 4: Pour the browned butter through a strainer into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the butter on medium spread until it cools to room temperature. This usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the sugars to the bowl and continue to beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Step 5: Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl with the butter and mix until just combined. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Step 6: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Step 7: Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough to form a ball. Roll the ball in the cinnamon sugar. Place the cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies are slightly cracked.
Snickerdoodles are a classic cookie that everyone loves! Elevate the flavor and add a fun twist by using melted butter. If you try this recipe, you will experience a delicious cookie that is fun and easy. We love them and know that you will too!
Brown Butter Snickerdoodles
For the snickerdoodles:
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter until the foam subsides and the butter turns nut brown, 8 to 10 minutes, swirling the pan occasionally. Pour the browned butter through a strainer into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat butter on medium speed until it cools to room temperature, 5 to 7 minutes. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat again for a few seconds. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the egg mixture. Mix until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture and mix until just barely incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Gather the dough into a mound in the middle. Cover the bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon for cinnamon sugar coating.
- Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop about 2 tablespoons of dough and form a ball. Roll the ball in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining dough. Place the cookies on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until cookies are slightly cracked.
- Store these cookies in a sealed container for up to 3 days.