Crispy baked chicken cutlets are a delicious alternative to fried chicken. This recipe uses a simple baked chicken marinade and crunchy bread crumbs and cooks in less than 25 minutes!
Chicken is a weekly dinner staple in our house. It’s easy to cook and tastes great with a variety of dishes. This recipe is a healthier alternative to fried chicken that is still crispy and delicious. Serve this with Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower or alongside a simple Garden Salad to create a quick dinner that’s a favorite for both kids and adults.
Chicken cutlets v chicken breasts
Chicken cutlets are simply chicken breasts cut in half horizontally. You can purchase chicken cutlets at your local grocery store or make your own.
To make a chicken cutlet, carefully cut the chicken horizontally through the thickest part of the breast, separating it into two halves. Then, place a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the two halves. Using a meat mallet or the heel of your hand, lightly pound each piece to the desired thickness.
Simple baked chicken marinade
Using a simple baked chicken marinade you will ensure that chicken cutlets turn out flavorful and delicious.
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, pepper and freshly chopped rosemary. Add the marinade to a ziplock bag or bowl. Add the chicken and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours in the refrigerator.
This marinade really brings out the great flavor in this dish – it makes the biggest difference!
How to bake chicken cutlets
Baked chicken cutlets are a great alternative to fried chicken. They are crispy flavorful pieces of chicken without frying.
After marinating the chicken, dredge the chicken in bread crumbs. Feel free to use any type of breadcrumbs that you have on hand, even gluten free bread crumbs work well with this recipe.
Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet sprayed with oil. Bake for 25 to 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer.
Chicken is a popular option for lunch or dinner. It cooks quickly and easily. It also tastes great when served with a variety of healthy side dishes. Below are a few of our favorite sides to serve with chicken.
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
- Braised Red Potatoes
- Grilled Asparagus
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Garlic Green Beans
This easy chicken recipe is the perfect dish for any day of the week. Pair it with pasta, vegetables or rice and you have an easy meal the entire family will love. This chicken dish rivals the most popular chain restaurants and will soon become a dinnertime favorite!
Baked Chicken Cutlets
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
- Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board. Carefully slice each breast into two cutlets (4 cutlets total), by cutting horizontally through the thickest part of the breast.
- Add all of the ingredients to a ziplock bag except for the breadcrumbs. Let the mixture marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the bread crumbs into a shallow bowl. Dredge the marinated chicken cutlets into the bread crumbs, coating on both sides.
- Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees. Serve with your favorite side dish and enjoy!
- You can use gluten free bread crumbs, if desired.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat prior to serving.