Strawberry Sangria is made with fresh strawberries to create a refreshing drink to enjoy all year long!
Despite a never ending list of recipes that I want to try, I will often wait for a time when I can first try the recipe with others. Dinner parties and family gatherings are always the perfect time to test new recipes. I can get opinions from other people and don’t have to worry about any food going to waste (unless the recipe is a major failure or tastes really bad and then I wouldn’t serve it anyway). This past weekend was a perfect time to test a recipe I’ve been wanting to try now for quite some time.
By now, I’m sure that you have realized that if strawberries are an ingredient, then I’m probably going to try it at least once. I love the sweet flavor that strawberries add to many dishes. The strawberry flavor in this sangria really shines. It is fruity, light, and refreshing. It is the perfect drink to enjoy on a beautiful spring day.
This recipe uses a lot of strawberries, but it is worth it. I always recommend using organic strawberries since they are juicier and more flavorful than conventional strawberries. I added the sparkling water just before serving to ensure extra fizz.
- 8 cups fresh strawberries trimmed and halved
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio
- 2 cups sparkling water chilled
- sliced strawberries for serving
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine trimmed strawberries, sugar and water. Bring just to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Once the strawberry mixture is cooled, press the mixture, a little at a time, through a mesh sieve placed over a bowl, pressing down on the strawberries to extract as much syrup as possible (you should have about 3 cups of syrup). Discard the solids.
- In a 2-quart pitcher, stir together the syrup and wine. Cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the sparkling water. Garnish with sliced strawberries as desired.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 737, Fat: 1g, Sodium: 127mg, Potassium: 1136mg, Carbohydrates: 120g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 98g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 1.4%, Vitamin C: 410.5%, Calcium: 14.8%, Iron: 18.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.