This easy Watermelon Paloma recipe is made with fresh watermelon, lime juice, orange juice, and a splash of tequila for a refreshing summertime drink. This hydrating cocktail is the perfect beverage to serve poolside or at a summer BBQ!
If you’re looking for a refreshing cocktail to sip by the pool this summer, this Watermelon Paloma is the perfect drink! Fresh watermelon is blended with orange juice along with tequila and lime juice for the perfect amount of sweet, tangy and citrus. Pair it with fresh mint for a bright and fresh cocktail that screams summer.
Serve it with a slice of fresh watermelon cake for double the watermelon flavor!
What is a Paloma?
A Paloma is a tequila-based cocktail that is not quite a margarita. Traditionally, it mixes lime juice and sparkling grapefruit juice with tequila and is served on ice. This fun twist adds some fresh watermelon and pairs it with orange juice for all the flavors of summer.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s hydrating! Not only is this the perfect drink to serve when it’s hot because of the taste, but it also contains some electrolytes coming from the watermelon.
- Make a large batch. You can make a few cocktails, or make a large batch for a party.
- It’s a great way to use up watermelon.
- Easily customizable. You can change up the fruit or even swap out the orange juice to add your favorite fruits.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Fresh Watermelon – Freshly diced summer watermelon works best in this recipe.
- Orange Juice – Adds a natural sweetness and a great citrus flavor that pairs well with watermelon.
- Tequila – Classic alcohol for paloma pairs well with fruit.
- Lime Juice – Gives this cocktail a great acidity and freshness.
- Sparkling Water – Adds a pop of fizz to the drink.
- Ice – Bring out your best ice and pour the paloma right over in your favorite cocktail glasses.
- For Garnish – You’ll need lime wedges, salt, watermelon slices or mint sprigs as a garnish and to salt the rims of the glasses.
How To Make a Watermelon Paloma
Step 1. Blend the fresh watermelon in a blender until it’s fully pureed. Strain through a strainer right into a pitcher to keep it nice and smooth.
Step 2. Mix the paloma. To the pitcher with watermelon, add tequila, orange juice, lime juice, and sparkling water. Stir to fully incorporate. Add ice here or add it to individual glasses.
Step 3. Assemble and garnish. Salt the rim of the glass using a lime and high quality sea salt. Pour in each glass and garnish with fresh lime wedges, watermelon and sprigs of mint.
- When choosing watermelon for this recipe, it’s important to make sure it’s sweet and ripe. You can adjust the level of sweetness by adding some sugar or more orange juice.
- Straining the watermelon is necessary after blending as the fiber in the watermelon can be too thick for a refreshing cocktail.
- You can use store-bought watermelon juice in a pinch, although fresh is best.
- This recipe works best with high quality tequila like Don Juilo or Milagro Silver.
- This recipe makes 5 cocktails, you can adjust the ingredient amounts to make larger or smaller serving sizes.
- Don’t like watermelon? Try using fresh mango instead.
- Spice it up by adding some fresh jalapeno slices for garnish.
- Lemon juice can be swapped out for the lime juice in this recipe for a different citrus flavor.
- Add traditional grapefruit soda or juice to this paloma instead of orange juice if you’re looking for a classic flavor.
- Use homemade freshly squeezed orange juice for ultimate freshness.
- For a spicy rim, add a mix of salt and paprika.
Absolutely! This watermelon Paloma can be served sans tequila for the best Paloma mocktail.
Serve watermelon Paloma in highball glasses for best results and aesthetics.
Although this drink is traditionally made with tequila, feel free to use Mezcal, vodka, gin, or your favorite high quality white rum.
A Paloma has it’s sweet flavor coming from grapefruit soda where as in a margarita, the sweetness comes from orange liquor.
More Summer Cocktail Recipes
- 6 cups watermelon, diced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups tequila
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup sparkling water
- Lime wedges, watermelon and mint for garnish
- Salt to rim the glass
- Add the watermelon to a blender and pulse until smooth. Strain into a pitcher.
- Add the orange juice, tequila and lime juice and stir to incorporate. Add the ice.
- Rub a lime wedge over the edge of the glass and dip in salt to rim the edge. Fill until ¾ full and top with the sparkling water.
- Garnish with lime wedges, watermelon or mint sprigs and serve.