If you’re looking for a refreshing margarita cocktail, this Mezcalita is sweet and slightly smokey with a kick of spice. It’s a fun mezcal cocktail made with fresh fruit juices and a spicy salted rim.
Try a fun new cocktail. This mezcalita is a signature cocktail made with mezcal and fresh juices. Adding a small amount of fresh juice to a classic cocktail makes it fresh and exciting.
This drink is essentially a margarita with a few fun additions. Instead of standard tequila, this drink uses mezcal, another type of liquor made in Mexico from agave plants.
What is Mezcal?
While standard tequila is made from blue agave, mezcal can be made from many types of agave plants. It comes from a certain region in Mexico, mainly the Oaxaca state.
Mezcal has a smokey flavor. It gets that flavor from the production process. The heart of the agave is roasted to bring out the natural sugars of the agave. The agave is then crushed and fermented before it is distilled.
Mezcal tastes great when paired in cocktails with fresh fruits like citrus and pineapple. It’s mild and mixable. The first time I tried mezcal was in a similar pineapple mezcal margarita. Since then I tried it in a variety of craft cocktails and always go back to this classic recipe.
Ingredients You Need
- Mezcal – You can find this located near the tequila at most retailers. If you can’t find mezcal, you can substitute with tequila.
- Triple Sec – You will need a splash of your favorite orange liquor.
- Lime Juice – Freshly squeezed juice is preferred.
- Pineapple Juice – Adds flavor and is the perfect complement to the other ingredients.
- Agave Syrup – This is the sweetener. You can omit or reduce the amount to make the drink less sweet. You can substitute with simple syrup.
- Salt & Chili Powder or Tajin – This cocktail tastes best when served with a spicy salted rim. You can use a combination of salt and chili powder or use Tajin, a popular Mexican seasoning. The seasoning is slightly sweet wit a kick of spice which is perfect for this craft cocktail.
- Garnish – Pineapple slices or lime wheels
How to Make a Mezcal Margarita
Add mezcal, lime juice, pineapple juice, triple sec and agave syrup to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until well chilled, then strain into a glass over fresh ice.
Add a salted rim by running a lime wedge around the edge of a glass until it’s wet. Pour some salt with chili powder or into a bowl. You can also use Tajin seasoning instead. Dip the edge of the glass into the bowl to coat in the mixture.
Garnish the mezcal cocktail with a pineapple wedge or lime wedge.
- For milder flavor – The combination of ingredients in this mezcalita cocktail yields the best flavor. However, if you’re unsure of whether you may enjoy the smoky flavor, use a mixture of tequila and mezcal. The standard tequila will dilute some of the smoky flavor.
- Add heat – For more spicy flavor add a few fresh jalapeño pepper slices.
- Try different flavor combinations – Instead of pineapple juice, try freshly pureed watermelon or orange juice.
The next time you want to serve margaritas, try this mezcal margarita instead for a fun and exciting twist. It pairs well with barbacoa tacos or veggie enchiladas. It also pairs well with chips and guacamole.
Did you try this Mezcalita? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 2 ounces mezcal
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
- 1/2 ounce triple sec , (or your favorite orange liqueur)
- 1/2 ounce agave syrup
- Pineapple slices, for garnish (optional)
- Lime wheels, for garnish (optional)
- Kosher salt and chili powder, or tajin seasoning for garnish (optional)
- Add mezcal, lime juice, pineapple juice, triple sec and agave syrup to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a glass over fresh ice.
- Serve with a salted rim, if desired. You can add a few pinches of chili powder or tajin seasoning to the salt for a kick of flavor. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and lime wheel.