Shake up a Cranberry Moscow Mule and serve this festive holiday cocktail at your next dinner party or holiday celebration! It’s the perfect drink for holiday entertaining.
Today I’m sharing another recipe made with cranberries! I absolutely love the tart flavor of cranberries, so I try to use them as often as possible. As soon as I see fresh cranberries at my local store, I stock up and enjoy them all season long. And I always try to sneak them into as many recipes as possible this time of the year! If you want to explore cooking with cranberries, check out a few of my favorite cranberry recipes like this cranberry, blueberry and goat cheese salad or these gingerbread cupcakes with cranberry buttercream frosting. This cranberry moscow mule is going to be the perfect drink for entertaining during the holiday season.
Because I love any excuse to eat more cranberries, I added cranberries to one of my favorite cocktails – the moscow mule! The cranberry flavor pairs well with the the fresh lime and tart ginger flavors of the traditional moscow mule drink. This holiday drink makes a regular appearance as the signature cocktail for holiday parties and celebrations. Make a large batch beforehand, and as guests arrive, pour over ice and garnish with fresh or frozen cranberries. It’s a simple drink packed with fresh seasonal flavor.
For holiday entertaining, keep it simple by serving water, tea, beer, wine and a signature cocktail. The cranberry moscow mule is the perfect signature drink. It combines the best flavors of the season with a classic drink that everyone will love. Serve the drink alongside a few holiday appetizers like these rosemary turkey meatballs or cranberry brie bites.
What is a cranberry moscow mule?
A cranberry mule is a fun, festive take on the traditional moscow mule. A traditional moscow mule is made with vodka, ginger beer, lime juice and a lime wedge for garnish. It has a bit of a spicy, ginger flavor that is both refreshing during the summer months or warming for during the winter. To make a cranberry moscow mule, combine the traditional mule ingredients with cranberry juice cocktail. You can also use rum instead of vodka which helps bring out the cranberry flavor in the drink.
Can I substitute another fruit for the cranberry juice flavor?
Yes, you can substitute another seasonal fruit juice for the cranberry juice cranberry flavors in this cocktail. You can add more lime juice or try orange juice, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries or grapefruit to change up the flavors. I love adding fresh berries to make it a fun summer cocktail for the warmer months
How to Garnish a Moscow Mule
With endless flavor combinations, there are endless ways to garnish a moscow mule. Below are suggested garnishes.
- lime wedge
- sprig of fresh rosemary
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh berries
- a colorful straw (not edible)
For a festive holiday garnish, I would suggest topping with fresh cranberries on top with a lime wedge! You can put a sprig of fresh rosemary or mint leaves on top as well. A colorful straw works well as a garnish, too.
Moscow Mule Tips
- To make a moscow mule non alcoholic, substitute club soda instead of the alcohol.
- Ginger beer, an ingredients used in a moscow mule, is non-alcoholic, despite having beer in the name.
- Substitute another liquor for the rum. We like rum in this drink for the holidays, but voldka or gin works well too.
- Serve the moscow mule in copper mugs which helps keep the drink cold.
- We love using Fever Tree ginger beer, but you can use whatever ginger beer you prefer.
Other cranberry recipes for the holidays
- Crockpot meatballs with cranberry sauce and orange
- Spiked cranberry cream cheese spread
- Cranberry crumb cake
- Pistachio Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Any of these recipes would taste great served with this drink at a holiday party. Impress your guests with a beautiful holiday cocktail and some tasty snacks and desserts!
Cranberry Moscow Mule
- 4 ounces ginger beer
- 4 ounces cranberry juice cocktail
- 2 ounces dark rum or vodka
- 1 lime, cut in half
- crushed ice cubes
- fresh or frozen cranberries
- Place 1 cup crushed ice into a copper mug.
- Add ginger beer, cranberry juice, rum, and the juice of a squeezed ½ lime in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Stir or very gently shake, then pour into the copper mug.
- Top with cranberries and garnish with a lime wheel and serve.
- Do not overshake the mixture as there is ginger beer in the drink. Gently shake for a second or two or stir. You can also omit the ginger beer in step 2 and pour over just before serving.
Kitchen Tools needed to make this moscow mule
- Shaker – this is the cocktail shaker we have. It’s inexpensive and works well.
- Copper Mugs – it’s not a moscow mule without the copper mugs! You can find an assortment of copper mugs available online and in stores.
IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE, DON’T FORGET TO SHARE A PHOTO AND TAG @SPOONFULFLAVOR ON INSTAGRAM.
This post contains affiliate links.