Combine a few simple ingredients together to create this Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries, Greens and Apples! The side dish is naturally gluten free and paleo. It’s the perfect side dish for dinner or holiday parties.
Are you looking for an easy fall side dish that everyone will love? Roasted butternut squash with cranberries, greens and apples is a simple dish that comes together in little time. Eat it warm or cold. Best of all, it’s packed with my favorite greens and served with a delectable gluten free and paleo maple dressing. Enjoy this dish as a simple Thanksgiving side dish or as part of your fall dinner parties.
How do you cook Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries
To make this roasted butternut squash with cranberries roast the butternut squash in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. After 25 minutes of roasting, remove the pan, add the cranberries and then return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes until the cranberries soften and start to pop.
While the butternut squash and cranberries are roasting, saute the chopped apple until softened. Add heaping handfuls of the greens and cook until wilted. Once the butternut squash is done, Combine everything in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the dressing using olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and cinnamon. Pour the dressing over the butternut squash mixture. Gently stir until combined and serve with your other favorite fall dishes.
Can cranberries be roasted?
Yes, absolutely! That is exactly what I do for this recipe. If you want to roast cranberries on their own (and not as part of this recipe), preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Add the cranberries to a baking sheet. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the top to prevent them from sticking to the pan. Roast for 10 minutes or until the cranberries are softened and start to pop. If you’ve never roasted fresh cranberries, you must try it! It is one of my favorite ways to eat cranberries and is quick and easy.
Healthy Side Dish Recipes
- Apple Cranberry Sauce with Orange and Ginger
- Balsamic Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate
- Creamy Cauliflower and Greens Soup
Try it and let us know what you think!
Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries, Greens and Apples
- 1 (2-3 pound) butternut squash,, peeled & chopped into one inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil,, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 large apple,, peeled, cored and julienned or chopped
- 4 ounces organicgirl i heart baby kale
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup, or more for sweeter flavor
- pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle squash with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast squash for 25 minutes. Add cranberries and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and cinnamon to make vinaigrette. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining teaspoon olive oil. Saute apple for 3 minutes until softened. Add the greens and cook until wilted.
- Combine everything together in a large bowl. Gently stir to combine. Enjoy!