Happy Friday! I’m not sure why, but this week was one of those weeks where it felt like it should have been Friday back on Wednesday. Usually, the time during the week flies by, but this week I was really looking forward to Friday. Perhaps it is because I am baking cookies for the Food Blogger Cookie Swap this weekend. I’m baking my favorite holiday cookies that I make year after year but have never shared here on the blog. They are a lot of fun to make and are equally delicious. I am going to get up early on Saturday and start the day with these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins.
This recipe yields a classic banana muffin. And since you know how much I love to add chocolate to everything, I added chocolate chips to these muffins as well. You can certainly omit the chocolate chips. The topping to these muffins isn’t really a crumb topping, because it isn’t as thick or crumbly as the topping I use for pumpkin muffins or coffeecake muffins, but the topping does add a crispier muffin top.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 bananas mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- To make the muffins, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix and set aside. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg, cinnamon and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips. Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- To make the topping, in a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir to mix. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 314, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 300mg, Potassium: 254mg, Carbohydrates: 50g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 29g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 270%, Vitamin C: 3.1%, Calcium: 38%, Iron: 1.8%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.