Coffee Cake Muffins are a classic recipe to enjoy all year long. A light and fluffy cake is topped with a warm streusel topping. Bake a batch to share with your friends and family!
*photos updated August 2017*
Coffee cake muffins are the perfect way to start the weekend. A classic recipe combines easy to find ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. A swirl of streusel is in the middle of each muffin and layered on top. Plan to share the batch. Otherwise you will end up eating every single one yourself. They are that good! You will love the taste and your kitchen will smell amazing. Make them and I promise that you won’t be disappointed. Coffee Cake Muffins are good enough to make every single weekend!
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin-tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut 8 tablespoons of butter into ½ inch pieces and sprinkle evenly over flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is oat-sized. Remove 1 cup of the flour-butter mixture and stir into reserved brown sugar mixture until combined to make streusel. Scoop out 3/4 cup of streusel for muffin batter and set aside. Cut the remaining tablespoon of butter into the remaining streusel until streusel resembles a crumble, then set aside for topping muffins. Add baking powder and baking soda to remaining flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together sour cream, egg, and vanilla. Add liquids to flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add the 3/4 cup reserved streusel to flour mixture and stir until streusel is just distributed throughout batter.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups and sprinkle generously with streusel topping, pressing lightly with the back of a spoon, so that streusel sinks slightly into batter. Bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 296, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 43mg, Sodium: 259mg, Potassium: 121mg, Carbohydrates: 38g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 21g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 370%, Vitamin C: 0.2%, Calcium: 54%, Iron: 1.2%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.