Homemade blackberry muffins with crumble topping are made with fresh blackberries and a few basic ingredients. These easy muffins are perfect for breakfast or snack.
Berry muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack. If you’re looking for something different then traditional blueberry muffins, try baking muffins with fresh or frozen blackberries. The large plump berries add the perfect amount of sweet flavor. Top them off with a delicious crumb topping.
How to make blackberry muffins
- Step 1: Mix together the dry ingredients for the muffins – flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and lemon zest.
- Step 2: Mix together the wet ingredients for the muffins – egg, Greek yogurt, melted butter and vanilla.
- Step 3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. The mixture will be slightly thick and lumpy.
- Step 4: Gently fold in the blackberries. Use a rubber spatula to fold, being careful not to break the fruit. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Step 5: Top with crumb topping.
- Step 6: Fill muffin tin and bake.
muffin crumb topping
The crumb topping is a must. It adds texture and flavor to the blackberry muffins. Simply combine the brown sugar, flour and lemon zest in a bowl. Cut butter into small pieces and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the mixture. You can also use your fingers to cut the butter into the mixture until the butter is oat sized. Add chopped nuts and crumble the mixture in your hands to make large chunks before sprinkling over the muffin batter.
You can use pecans, walnuts or almonds. You can also omit the nuts, if desired.
tips for baking these muffins
- Smaller ripe berries have a better consistency for baking. If the berries are too large, they often feel too soft and will break apart when mixing.
- Use fresh or frozen blackberries.
- You can use all-purpose flour instead of the whole wheat flour, if desired.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- Be careful when folding in the blackberries. A few gentle folds with the spatula is enough to distribute the blackberries throughout the batter.
Other muffin recipes
This recipe is great year round. Use fresh or frozen blackberries to create a delicious muffin recipe that is perfect for breakfast, brunch or snack. Try this recipe and let us know what you think!
For the topping:
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or sliced almonds
For the muffins:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries or 2 1/2 cups frozen unsweetened blackberries unthawed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.
To make the topping:
In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour and lemon zest. Cut butter into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle over mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is oat sized. Add the nuts and stir to combine. Set aside.
To make the muffins:
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, melted butter and vanilla extract. Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until evenly mixed. The batter will be slightly thick and lumpy. Sprinkle with the blackberries and gently fold in with a large rubber spatula just until evenly distributed. Be careful not to break up the fruit. Do not over-mix.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Top each muffin with topping, dividing evenly. Bake until the muffins are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the muffins in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 230, Fat: 9g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 32mg, Sodium: 108mg, Potassium: 186mg, Carbohydrates: 33g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 17g, Protein: 5g, Vitamin A: 262%, Vitamin C: 4%, Calcium: 73%, Iron: 1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Recipe originally published March 2014, updated June 2020.