Soft, nutty brown butter baked donuts are topped with a rich chocolate glaze and sprinkles. These donuts are the perfect way to start any morning!
Baked donuts have taken over my mind!
Hello friends! My name is Zainab and I am usually a cake and frosting obsessed girl. I’m very excited to be here today to share with you a new favorite recipe while Ashley finishes up a busy cycle at work. I blog over at Blahnik Baker where I share my love for frosting, beautiful cakes and my ever-dying obsession with shoes. But recently, ever since the $9.99 purchase of a donut pan at Home Goods, my mind has only had donuts on it. And boy have I been indulging 🙂
Have you ever had baked donuts? They are like the best thing ever! They are soft, fluffy, almost like a cupcake but a little denser and always healthier than fried donuts. These brown butter baked donuts with chocolate glaze are my new favorites since my induction into baked donut land.
Nutty brown butter and vanilla donuts are topped with a sweet chocolate glaze and finished with sprinkles because every morning deserves sprinkles!! The best part of this recipe…it’s not the soft pillowy donut you bite into or the chocolate glaze or the happy sprinkles. It’s the fact that the recipe only makes 6!! Two to share with the husband and four for me 🙂 (Welcome to how my brain works!).
Now go make some baked donuts! Enjoy!
Brown Butter Baked Donuts with Chocolate Glaze
For the Donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk or more
To make the donuts:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a donut pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter until it starts crackling. Whisk constantly until butter begins to brown and brown bits are visible. Remove from heat and pour into a small bowl. Let cool for a few minutes.
- In a large measuring cup (or small bowl) whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla extract and two tablespoons of brown butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients all at once and stir until combined. Mix only until all the flour bits are gone. Do not overmix.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan. Fill each donut ¾ of the way and smooth.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely before glazing.
To make the glaze:
Whisk together all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Add a tablespoon of milk if necessary to have a thick but pourable glaze.
- Dip cooled donuts top-side-down into chocolate glaze. Sprinkle with toppings. Allow glaze to set for 30 minutes before serving or stacking.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 325, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 45mg, Sodium: 277mg, Potassium: 170mg, Carbohydrates: 60g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 42g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 260%, Calcium: 66%, Iron: 1.6%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Thank you very much for having me here today! I would love for you to visit me at Blahnik Baker where you can find more delicious recipes.