Start your day with this easy homemade breakfast burrito made with bacon, eggs, cheese and veggies. These burritos are great for meal prep and can be frozen.
If you’re looking for a quick, on-the-go breakfast recipe, then this breakfast burrito is perfect for you. It’s made with a few basic ingredients and can be easily adapted to fit your taste.
Prep these in advance and enjoy them throughout the week. Or freeze and reheat when you’re looking for something quick and easy.
Ingredients You Need
A few notes on ingredients:
- Cheese: Use a combination of pepper jack and Colby cheese for the best flavor. You can also substitute with any of your other favorite cheeses, such as cheddar, swiss, feta or goat cheese.
- Bacon: We love this recipe with turkey bacon, but you can use regular pork bacon. You can also use cooked ground breakfast sausage instead of the bacon, if desired.
Other Add-ins and Toppings
Feel free to adapt the burrito to add your other favorite ingredients. Below are a few of our favorite add-ins.
- Cooked hash browns
- Cooked mushrooms
- Black beans
- Sour cream
- Hot Sauce
Steps to Make Breakfast Burritos
- Whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Add the chopped onions and peppers.
- Scramble the eggs in a greased skillet over medium heat. If the eggs cook too quickly, lower the temperature. You want to cook them low and slow to yield the fluffiest eggs.
- Heat a tortilla in another skillet. Sprinkle the cheese over the top to melt. Then, remove the tortilla from the heat and layer with the remaining burrito ingredients. Wrap and enjoy!
Layer all of the ingredients on the bottom half of the tortilla. Fold in both sides, tuck and roll up.
Place them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Roll the burritos tightly to keep out moisture. Wrap them in plastic wrap and then again in aluminum foil before storing in the refrigerator or freezer.
To reheat, remove any plastic wrap. The wrap them in foil, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through.
Breakfast burritos are the perfect make ahead breakfast. Serve them with a side of breakfast potatoes for a complete meal.
Kids and adults love them and you can prep everything in advance to save time. Add or substitute your other favorite burrito ingredients to make them your own.
Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfait
- Overnight Oats
- Trail Mix Breakfast Bars
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl
Did you try this Breakfast Burrito recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 large flour tortillas
- ½ cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- ½ cup shredded Colby cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped into small pieces (I use turkey bacon)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until well beaten.
- Stir in the peppers and onion.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and grease skillet with butter or coconut oil. Pour egg mixture into skillet and scramble the eggs until fully cooked.
- In another large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, place tortilla on the bottom of the pan to warm. Sprinkle cheese over tortilla and heat until cheese is fully melted, being careful not to burn tortilla.
- Remove warm tortilla from pan and place on work surface. Top with bacon and egg mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold the bottom edge of the wrap up. Fold the sides of the wrap inward and then roll the wrap up tightly to enclose all of the fillings. Enjoy!
- Cheese: You can also substitute with any of your other favorite cheeses, such as cheddar, swiss, feta or goat cheese.
- Bacon: You can use any type of bacon. You can also use cooked ground breakfast sausage instead of the bacon, if desired.
This post was originally published in 2014. It was updated with new photos, faqs and information in February 2021.
I’ve never had a burrito for breakfast, so this one is easy and tasty.
I love these! They’re perfect for prepping at the beginning of the week, and then grabbing to go on a busy morning.
Such a great breakfast burrito recipe!!!
I tried this recipe and it kicked ass! Thanks for posting!!
I am so glad to hear that you loved it, Michelle!