Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole is a comfort food dinner or breakfast everyone will love! This quiche-like casserole made up of layers of green chiles and cheese is a meal even the most novice cook can put together!
Happy first day of fall! Danae here from Recipe Runner and I’m finally embracing the new season. I always feel like summer gets shortchanged once September hits. Everyone suddenly goes from barbecues and swimming to pumpkins, apples and sweaters. I can’t deal with it when we have such beautiful summers in Colorado, I wish they would stick around all year. Luckily, we also have an amazing fall season too. If you’ve never seen Colorado in the fall, especially in the mountains, it is absolutely beautiful. This weekend we’re taking our annual fall day trip up to see all the trees in their breathtaking autumn colors. Add it to your bucket list!
I’ve also started being okay with turning the oven on again. That means easy to make casseroles like this Easy Green Chile Rellenos Casserole are back on the menu! This recipe comes from my aunt’s mom and it’s a keeper. Not only does this casserole make a great dinner but, you could even serve it for breakfast or brunch.
The main ingredient of this casserole is of course the green chiles. Since it’s chile season around here, I was fortunate enough to be able to use fresh roasted green chiles…we’re kind of obsessed with them (and peaches) here in Colorado. If you can’t get your hands on the fresh roasted ones, the canned whole green chiles work great.
The next major ingredient in this casserole is CHEESE! Lots and lots of cheese! I actually cut back on the amount the original recipe called for, but I won’t tell if you decide to add more. To bind the casserole together all you need are eggs, flour, a can of low-fat evaporated milk and a little hot sauce if you want to spice it up. When it bakes the casserole takes on a quiche-like consistency, which is why I say it could be made for breakfast or dinner. This Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole is so easy to make even the most novice cook can get it on the table!
Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole
- 8 whole roasted green chiles or 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chiles
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 cup lowfat evaporated milk
- Hot sauce to taste
- Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup green salsa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a blender or with a bowl and whisk, blend/whisk the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and flour until combined.
- If you’re using fresh roasted green chiles peel off the charred skin, cut of the stem and remove the seeds.
- Slice the chiles in half lengthwise and lay them flat in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish or a rectangular one similar in size.
- Add a 1/3 of the cheese on top of the chiles.
- Repeat this step then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Top with the green salsa and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 145, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Sodium: 455mg, Potassium: 87mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin A: 6.9%, Vitamin C: 7.5%, Calcium: 14.6%, Iron: 2.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More Easy Mexican Meals
Connect with Danae: