Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole is a comfort food dinner or breakfast everyone will love! This quiche-like chili relleno casserole is made up of layers of green chiles and cheese. It’s a meal even the most novice cook can put together.
Danae here from Recipe Runner and today I’m sharing this Easy Green Chile Rellenos Casserole! This recipe comes from my aunt’s mom and it’s a keeper. Not only does this casserole make a great dinner but it also tastes great for breakfast or brunch. It’s a versatile dish that is so easy to make. Even the most novice chefs love making this casserole.
What is chile rellenos?
A chile relleno is a Mexican dish featuring stuffed green chiles that are often breaded, fried and topped with sauce. We make it a casserole by layering the green chiles with plenty of cheese and only a few other ingredients. The “stuffed” ingredients are layered through the casserole to create a chile rellenos dish that everyone loves.
How to make chile rellenos casserole
This Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole is so easy to make even the most novice cook can make it. It requires less than 15 minutes of prep!
- First, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and flour.
- Next, layer the green chiles in a casserole dish. Top with some cheese, the egg mixture, green salsa and more cheese.
- Bake the casserole for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown. It’s that easy!
The main ingredient of this casserole is of course the green chiles. During chile season, we use fresh roasted green chiles. We’re kind of obsessed with them (and peaches) here in Colorado. If you can’t get your hands on the fresh roasted ones, the canned whole green chiles work great too.
The next major ingredient in this casserole is CHEESE! Lots and lots of cheese! To bind the casserole together all you need are eggs, flour, a can of low-fat evaporated milk and a little hot sauce if you want to spice it up. When it bakes the casserole takes on a quiche-like consistency, which is why I say it is great for breakfast or dinner.
We know that you’re going to love this green chili relleno casserole. If you love green chile flavor, try our other favorite green chile recipes below. Use fresh or canned green chiles.
- Chicken Chilaquiles
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Green Chile Chicken Taquitos
- Turkey Burgers with Green Chile
Easy Chile Rellenos Casserole
- 8 whole roasted green chiles or 2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chiles
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Pepper Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 cup lowfat evaporated milk
- Hot sauce to taste
- Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup green salsa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a blender or with a bowl and whisk, blend/whisk the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and flour until combined.
- If you’re using fresh roasted green chiles peel off the charred skin, cut of the stem and remove the seeds.
- Slice the chiles in half lengthwise and lay them flat in the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish or a rectangular one similar in size.
- Add a 1/3 of the cheese on top of the chiles.
- Repeat this step then pour the egg mixture over the top.
- Top with the green salsa and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 145, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 63mg, Sodium: 455mg, Potassium: 87mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 6g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin A: 345%, Vitamin C: 6.2%, Calcium: 146%, Iron: 0.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Connect with Danae: