Treat yourself to a bowl of this Zucchini Bread Oatmeal and get all the flavors that you would from the bread without overindulging!
It’s zucchini season and I like so many others have a garden full of it! I’ve been good this year about picking it before it gets too big. I’m sure we’ve all had that sneaky zucchini that hides beneath one of the leaves and when you go to pick it find that it’s a foot long. Yep, that happens to me every year. I don’t like when they get too big because the seeds inside get bigger and tougher. Not good for eating.
I think one of the most popular things to do with zucchini is bake with it. Breads, muffins, cakes, brownies, cookies, they’re all delicious and I can’t resist them. In fact that’s probably why I’ve avoided baking with them so far this season. It’s a sure bet that if I bake a loaf of zucchini bread I will eat half the loaf in one day. I tell myself I’m only having one slice, but then I keep going back to it throughout the day and next thing I know, it’s gone! The solution to my self control issues with the bread, this Zucchini Bread Oatmeal.
This zucchini bread oatmeal tastes like that warm slice of bread right out of the oven, except this is a single serving so you don’t have to worry about overindulging. To give the oatmeal the flavor of zucchini bread, there of course must be cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Those warm, sweet flavors are ones I always add to my bread. For sweetness I used maple syrup and for a creamy, nutty flavor, almond milk and almond butter.
There’s 1/2 a cup of shredded zucchini in the oatmeal, so you can feel good about getting some vegetables in with your breakfast. Since I always like a little crunch in my oatmeal, I topped it with a sprinkling of toasted pecans. This Zucchini Bread Oatmeal is the perfect way to have your zucchini bread this season and not have to worry about eating a whole loaf of it!
Zucchini Bread Oatmeal
- 1 cup milk I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini excess liquid squeezed out
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup depending on how sweet you like your oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pecans chopped (optional)
- In a small saucepan bring the milk to a boil.
- Add in the oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and zucchini and stir together.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup and vanilla then cover with a lid for a couple minutes.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 176, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 30mg, Potassium: 282mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 3.2%, Vitamin C: 6.4%, Calcium: 10.3%, Iron: 6.5%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More Oatmeal Recipes
Connect with Danae: