When we travel, I like to do a little research ahead of time to find a good place to stop and eat lunch. We almost always stay away from chain restaurants because we like to find the best local food, especially when visiting places we don’t travel to very often. Since the last time we traveled we were just playing it by ear, depending on how far we drove, we decided to stop once we got hungry. California Pizza Kitchen (CPK) was literally the first place that we found. We had been to CPK at least once before, but it really wasn’t anything memorable. On this visit, I noticed that their menu had quite a few new items, with many smaller, lighter dishes, which I always enjoy for lunch. Brad ended up choosing the pizza we shared, and as soon as I took a bite, I knew I had to recreate it at home.
I couldn’t believe that I had never thought of layering these ingredients on a pizza. This California club pizza is filled with protein and veggies, but is still relatively light and fresh. The things that I love most about this pizza are the fresh tomatoes, arugula and avocado that are piled on top of the cooked pizza. So if you are looking for a new pizza recipe, or just want to recreate your favorite CPK pizza, you must try this California club pizza recipe.
CPK California Club Pizza
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups arugula
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, or more to taste
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 8 slices
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees and preheat a pizza stone.
- Roll the pizza dough into a 12 to 14 inch round. Spread the olive oil in a thin layer on to the dough. Layer the chicken, bacon and mozzarella cheese over the entire pizza. Bake until the cheese is melted and the crust is lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- While the pizza is cooking, mix the arugula and mayonnaise together in a small bowl. Layer the tomato, arugula mixture and avocado over the cooked pizza.