This easy recipe for Homemade Dole Whip is my tasty take on the famous frozen pineapple treat found at Disney Parks. This refreshing treat is perfect to whip up on a hot day and tastes just like a tropical vacation!
Even if you never visited Disney before, you’ve probably heard of their famous pineapple Dole whip. This frozen dessert is one of my favorite Sweet Treats at the Magic Kingdom. I feel like it’s something that everyone should try at least once in their lives, so I decided to recreate it at home as part of my recipe series featuring my favorite Disney treats.
This treat is incredibly easy to make! All you’ll need is fresh pineapple and fresh pineapple juice. Mix it up with some sugar, vanilla ice cream and a touch of vanilla extract for a perfect summertime treat you can enjoy poolside on a hot day. Make a big batch and freeze for a summer full of refreshing pineapple fun that takes just 10 minutes to make.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- You can make this iconic Disney dessert right at home!
- It uses simple ingredients that you can find anywhere.
- Make a large batch and freeze for later.
- Customize it by blending in your favorite fruits.
- Serve it in a cone, by itself for with some fresh pineapple juice for a dole whip float.
Ingredients You Need
- Frozen Pineapple Chunks – This helps add a fresh pineapple flavor to the ice cream.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – Gives this fruit whip its creamy texture and sweet vanilla flavor.
- Pineapple Juice – Enhances the pineapple flavor and gives this pineapple ice cream a soft consistency.
- Powdered Sugar – Helps balance the natural sweetness of the pineapple. It also helps to thicken the consistency.
- Vanilla Extract – Gives a light vanilla flavor throughout.
How to Make Homemade Dole Whip
Step 1. Blend. Add all of the ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until creamy and smooth. You may have to pulse a few times to break down the pineapple before fully blending.
Step 2. Assemble & Serve. If serving right away, scoop into a cone or bowl. If serving later, add to a container and freeze for 3 hours. Add to a piping bag with a large star tip (I like to use the Milton 1M tip) and pipe into a cone or ice cream bowl to create the iconic swirl.
- When using frozen pineapple and blending it with creamy ice cream, you may have to add it to the blender first and pulse it into smaller pieces before adding the rest of the ingredients. This will help keep the blender from melting the ice cream as much as possible.
- If the consistency is too thin to serve after blending, add it to the freezer for 3-4 hours to chill and set before serving.
- If you only have fresh pineapple on hand, freeze it before using it as fresh pineapple will not create the same consistency.
- This recipe works best with full-fat vanilla ice cream.
- You can omit the sugar, however the sugar does help achieve the thicker frozen consistency.
- Change up the fruit flavor by adding in your favorite frozen fruit along with pineapples such as berries, or mango as long as it equals 3 cups.
- Make it a boozy drink by blending it with a shot of vodka or white rum for a poolside cocktail.
- Make dairy-free Dole whip by using a dairy-free vanilla ice cream made of coconut milk, almond milk, or soy milk.
- Replace the vanilla extract with your favorite citrus extracts such as lemon, lime, or orange for a pineapple citrus treat.
- Serve the swirl with fresh pineapple juice to create a homemade pineapple dole whip float.
As of right now, the Dole Whip at the Disney parks is made of made with pineapple, a non-dairy creamer, sugar, flavor, and coloring. My take on this recipe is more of a traditional take on the treat made with real vanilla ice cream and no artificial flavors or coloring.
While this refreshing treat can be found almost anywhere in the Disney parks these days, you can be sure to get it at the Aloha Isle in Magic Kingdom.
As of right now, you can’t but it is super easy to make by following this recipe!
As of right now, it is a staple in the Disney parks, but you can also get it at Disney springs.
More Disney Recipes
- Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- Homemade Churros
- Mini Corn Dogs
- Jack Jack Num Num Cookies
- Princess and the Frog Beignets
Did you make this homemade dole whip recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Homemade Dole Whip
- 3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Add all of the ingredients to a large blender and blend until smooth.
- Scoop and serve or freeze for 3 hours and pipe into bowls using a large closed star tip to get a nice swirl.
I have made this with just pineapple. The second time I did pineapple and strawberry together. Both very yummy!
I’ve never actually had the dole whip from Dinsey but I LOVE anything pineapple! So I know this one is a winner.
Just the right amount of tartness and pineapple flavor. We all love this!