Baked bbq chicken includes an assortment of wings, legs and thighs made with simple seasonings and sauce. Learn how to bake bbq chicken with this simple oven baked bbq chicken recipe.
Baking chicken in the oven is always a great choice for dinner! It’s quick, easy and always reliable. This baked bbq chicken is often on our dinner menu. Use chicken thighs, drumsticks and wings for an assortment. Although BBQ can be intimidating to a lot of people, this easy oven baked bbq chicken recipe is hassle free and always delicious. Best of all, use your favorite barbecue sauce to create a dish everyone loves. Create your favorite restaurant bbq chicken recipe at home using your favorite restaurant sauce or create your own homemade barbecue sauce. The options are endless!
How to make baked bbq chicken
- Combine olive oil, smoked paprika, light brown sugar, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag. Add the chicken pieces and massage the ingredients into the chicken. Seal the bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix together the barbecue sauce and vinegar. Remove the chicken from the bag and place on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake the chicken for 40 to 45 minutes, or an internal thermometer reaches 165 degrees F. Turn the broiler to high and continue roasting for 3 to 4 minutes until the skin blisters. Remove from the oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Brush a layer of barbecue sauce on the chicken. Return to the oven and broil for 3 to 5 minutes. Flip the chicken and repeat, broiling until caramelizes. Serve with additional barbecue sauce, as desired. See the recipe below for full measurements and details.
Cooking BBQ chicken in the oven
At cookouts, bbq chicken is often grilled on an outdoor charcoal or gas grill. But with this easy bbq chicken recipe, the chicken bakes in the oven. You can make this recipe year-round, even if it’s too cold to grill outside. The key to cooking it in the oven is to bake until the chicken is cooked through, brush the chicken with a layer of BBQ sauce and broil for the remaining 4 to 5 minutes. Make oven baked bbq chicken thighs, legs or wings.
Cooking BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
You can make this recipe with only drumsticks. If you have young kids, baked bbq chicken legs may be easier (and sometimes more fun) for them to eat. Follow the same instructions, except place on a baking rack over a foil-lined baking sheet. This helps prevent the baked bbq chicken legs from sticking to the baking sheet and makes clean up easier.
BBQ Chicken Wings
If you prefer wings, you can use this same recipe for only chicken wings. Just make sure you turn the wings halfway through as they are baking in the oven.
Tips for making bbq chicken
- If you like crispy chicken in the oven, make sure you purchase chicken with the skin on. This helps create that outer layer crisp.
- A marinade helps to really bring out the barbecue flavors. Chicken is a tougher meat, so a good marinade can cut through the meat and really tenderize it. The lemon and kosher salt really breaks through and helps tenderize the meat.
- The smoked paprika gives this barbecue sauce the smoky flavor. You can also use regular paprika, if desired.
- Timing is key for cooking bbq chicken. Don’t brush with the BBQ sauce until after it bakes through. Once the chicken cooks for 40 to 45 minutes, remove it from the oven, brush a layer of BBQ sauce on each piece and then return to the oven to broil for a few minutes. This makes sure that it doesn’t burn and keeps the bbq sauce sticky.
- You can use boneless chicken if you’d like in this recipe as well, but you may need to adjust the cook time since boneless often cooks faster than bone-in.
What to serve with bbq chicken
Oven baked BBQ chicken is a versatile dish and is served with a variety of sides. A few of our favorite side dishes are below.
- Garlic Green Beans are a classic recipe! Sauté green beans in a skillet with garlic for 15 minutes.
- If you’re craving mashes potatoes, these Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes with Chives are amazing!
- We also love this Sautéed Corn with Tomatoes, Feta and Basil for a fresh and easy side.
Try this recipe for baked bbq chicken thighs, drumsticks and wings for dinner this week. Once you try the recipe, let us know what you think by leaving a review below!
Baked BBQ Chicken
- 8 pieces skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks or wings (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Combine olive oil, paprika, brown sugar, lemon juice, and garlic in a large ziplock bag. Place chicken pieces in the bag. Massage marinade into chicken, seal, and refrigerate 24 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix barbecue sauce and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove chicken from bag and place on a baking sheet (line baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup). Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and an internal thermometer reaches 165 degrees F. Turn broiler on high and continue to roast 3 to 4 minutes until skin blisters. Remove chicken from oven and rest 5 minutes.
Brush a layer of BBQ sauce on the chicken. Return to the oven and broil 3 to 5 minutes. Flip chicken and repeat, broiling until caramelizes. Remove from the oven and serve.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 229, Fat: 16.7g, Cholesterol: 58mg, Sodium: 512mg, Potassium: 21.9mg, Carbohydrates: 8.6g, Fiber: 0.2g, Sugar: 4.9g, Protein: 15.6g
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Kitchen tools needed for this bbq chicken recipe:
- The entire recipe cooks on a baking sheet.
- Use a pastry brush to spread the barbecue sauce.
- A small set of mixing bowls makes mixing the ingredients easy. We love this inexpensive set of three mixing bowls!