Delicious buffalo shrimp cooks in the oven in under 30 minutes! Enjoy this easy recipe as a tasty appetizer or serve it over a fresh salad for a complete meal.
If you love buffalo sauce or buffalo wings, you will love this recipe. This delicious buffalo shrimp recipe comes together with fresh shrimp and an easy homemade buffalo sauce.
The shrimp is roasted in the oven in under 10 minutes. Enjoy it any day of the week!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s super easy.
- The shrimp is baked so no frying needed.
- It’s packed with flavor thanks to the spicy buffalo sauce.
- Serve it as an appetizer or over a salad for a delicious meal!
Ingredients You Need
This recipe makes a homemade buffalo sauce using garlic, butter, hot sauce, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper. You can substitute the homemade sauce with store-bought buffalo sauce, if desired.
- Shrimp: Use fresh or frozen shrimp, jumbo or large in size. If using frozen shrimp, thaw completely before using. Use shrimp with the tail on for easier pick up.
- Garlic: Use fresh garlic for the best flavor.
- Butter: Unsalted butter is preferred, but you can also use salted butter.
- Hot Sauce: Use Frank’s Hot sauce.
- Cayenne Pepper Powder: You can omit the cayenne pepper if you prefer the shrimp to be less spicy.
- White Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
How to Make Buffalo Shrimp
This easy buffalo shrimp recipe comes together in a few quick steps.
- Prepare the buffalo sauce: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted add the garlic cloves to the butter and saute them for about 2 minutes, or until they are fragrant. Use a slotted spoon or strainer to strain out the garlic and discard. Stir in the hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat. (You can also substitute with store-bought buffalo sauce.)
- Coat the shrimp with buffalo sauce: Add the shrimp to a large bowl and pour the prepared sauce in, reserving about 3 tablespoons. Mix until the shrimp is evenly coated.
- Bake the shrimp: Arrange the prepared shrimp on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the shrimp and brush with the remaining buffalo sauce. Return to the oven and bake for 3 minutes or until the shrimp are cooked through.
Smaller shrimp will require less time to cook. Keep an eye on the shrimp while cooking. Shrimp is done when it’s just cooked through.
Grilling the Shrimp
If you want to grill the shrimp instead of baking them in the oven, grill the shrimp over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes per side, or just until the shrimp turn pink.
Air Fryer Buffalo Shrimp
To cook the shrimp in an air fryer, spray an air fryer basket with nonstick spray. Arrange the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Set the air fryer for 7 minutes at 400 degrees. Then brush the remaining buffalo sauce on the shrimp and place back in the air fryer for 1 additional minute.
Serve the shrimp with celery and ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing for dipping. Or serve the buffalo shrimp over a salad for a delicious meal. They even taste great in lettuce wraps or served as buffalo shrimp tacos.
- Pat the shrimp dry: This helps to remove any extra moisture from the shrimp before you add the sauce.
- Adjust the seasoning: You can make the buffalo shrimp spicier by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper, to taste. If you want it less spicy, use less cayenne pepper powder, or omit it completely. You can also add a few extra tablespoons of butter to make the sauce more mild.
- Do not overcook the shrimp: Shrimp cook quickly and are done when they have curled slightly and are opaque in appearance. If you overcook them, they will be tough. Keep your eye on the shrimp while baking and cook just until pink. You may need to adjust the cook time with smaller sized shrimp.
- Storage: Buffalo shrimp tastes the best when it’s served immediately. You can store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove prior to serving.
Other Easy Shrimp Recipes
Did you try this Buffalo Shrimp recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the halved garlic cloves to the butter and saute them for about 2 minutes, or until they become fragrant. Strain out the garlic and discard.
- Stir in the Frank's hot sauce, white vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper. Allow the sauce to simmer for another 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings according to your preference if needed. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Add the shrimp to a large bowl and pour the prepare sauce in, reserving about 3 tablespoons. Mix until all the shrimp are evenly coated, then arrange them on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the shrimp for 7 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven, flip the shrimp over and brush with the reserved buffalo sauce, ensuring they are well coated.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and continue baking for 3 minutes or until they are cooked through and curled.
- Serve with celery, ranch and blue cheese, if desired.