Only 5 simple ingredients plus salt and pepper create delectable Lemon Garlic Shrimp in only 15 minutes!
Lemon and garlic are two of the best ingredients to pair with seafood. They are readily available and add crisp, fresh flavor to the meal.
Shrimp cooks in only a few minutes so it’s a great choice any time. Prepare this restaurant quality meal at home in 15 minutes or less.
Serve lemon and garlic shrimp for an easy weeknight meal or impressive appetizer for a dinner party.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Only 5 ingredients
- It’s ready in 10 minutes.
- It’s a quick, healthy and delicious meal.
- You can serve the shrimp with anything!
Ingredients You Need
All of the ingredients for this dish are simple and easy to find.
- Jumbo Shrimp: Fresh shrimp is best. Peel and devein the shrimp, but leave the tails on, if possible. If using frozen shrimp, thaw before cooking. Cooking time may vary if you use a size other than jumbo shrimp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: You can substitute with avocado oil, if desired.
- Garlic: Use freshly minced garlic cloves. You can use jarred minced garlic for convenience.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice results in the best flavor, but you can use bottled for convenience.
- Parsley: Use fresh parsley to add color and flavor.
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
Steps to Make Lemon Garlic Shrimp
Only a few quick steps to make this restaurant quality dish at home!
- Season the shrimp: Toss together the shrimp, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Cook the garlic in olive oil: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Saute the shrimp: Add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed for about 2 minutes. Turn the shrimp over, add the fresh lemon juice and cool until the shrimp is cooked throughout, about 1 to 2 additional minutes.
- Add the parsley: Stir in the fresh parsley until combined.
- Serve immediately.
- Use fresh ingredients: Always use fresh shrimp, parsley, lemon and garlic for the best flavor.
- Using frozen shrimp: If you’re using frozen shrimp, thaw completely before cooking.
- Don’t overcook: Cook the shrimp just until they are pink and cooked through. Do not overcook the shrimp or they will be chewy.
- Use butter to make garlic butter shrimp: Just add a tablespoon of butter during step 4 and stir until melted. This creates a lemon garlic butter sauce.
- Add heat: You can add a pinch of red pepper flakes for more flavor, if desired.
- Add Parmesan Cheese: Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top of the shrimp before serving for more flavor.
- Serving suggestions: Serve the shrimp with a side of veggies like asparagus or broccoli. Or serve on a salad or over a bed of angel hair pasta. Mix the remaining sauce from the pan with the pasta to create garlic shrimp pasta.
Other Easy Seafood Dinners
Did you taste this Lemon Garlic Shrimp recipe? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one medium lemon
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, add the shrimp, salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp to the pan in a single layer. Cook, undisturbed for about 2 minutes. Turn the shrimp over, add the lemon juice and cook until the shrimp is cooked throughout, about 1 to 2 additional minutes.
- Add the parsley, stir to combine well. Serve immediately.
- If using frozen shrimp, thaw the shrimp before cooking.
This recipe was originally published in 2014. It was updated with new photos, recipe tips and other helpful information in January 2023.