Looking for a way to use up zucchini? Try making this easy Air Fryer Zucchini! In just minutes, you’ll have a flavorful side dish that’s packed with nutrients that pairs well with any main course.
Zucchini is a summer vegetable that is in season from June to August. This versatile vegetable can be used in so many different recipes. We like to add it to salads, pasta dishes, and of course, air fry it!
The air fryer is a great way to cook zucchini because it uses dry circulating heat. This means the entire surface of the zucchini cooks all at once leaving a golden brown crispy texture on the outside while keeping it tender on the inside.
Plus, with the air fryer, there’s no need to turn on the oven in the summer heat. This recipe uses simple ingredients and creates air fryer zucchini in just 10 minutes or less!
If you’re looking for a baked zucchini recipe, try this Roasted Zucchini and Squash!
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Zucchini
- Zucchini in air fryer is a great way to use an abundance of summer veggies.
- This recipe requires no breading, egg or bread crumbs and is naturally gluten-free.
- You can flavor it any way you enjoy.
- This healthy side dish takes just 10 minutes to cook.
- Air fried zucchini is light and refreshing and pairs with any meal or side.
Ingredients You Need
All if the ingredients you need for this recipe are just basic pantry staples. You probably already have everything you need. You can also easily adapt the flavor to suit your taste. Make air fryer zucchini and squash by using both summer squashes.
- Fresh Zucchini – This vegetable can be found in any grocery store, farmers’ market, or in your own summer garden! You can use a combination of zucchini and summer squash, if desired.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Used to coat the chopped zucchini to help them roast properly in the air fryer. Oil also helps the seasonings stick.
- Dried Thyme – Gives the zucchini a layer of citrusy herb flavor. You can also substitute with dried oregano or basil instead of thyme. Or use Italian seasoning for a mix of herbs.
- Kosher Salt and Black Pepper – Enhances the flavor of zucchini.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Gives the zucchini a light kick of heat. Feel free to omit it completely if you don’t like spicy food. You can also substitute with a pinch of cayenne or even a pinch of paprika.
- For Serving – Pairing with fresh lemon wedges and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese enhances the overall flavor and texture of this easy vegetable side dish.
NOTE: Instead of Parmesan cheese, try using other cheeses like feta, goat cheese or cheddar. Or drizzle with glazed balsamic vinegar or a homemade vinaigrette after cooking for an extra zing.
How to Make Fried Zucchini in the Air Fryer
- Prepare for air frying: Preheat the air fryer to 400° F for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the zucchini: Thoroughly wash the zucchini with cold water. Trim the stem and the end off, then cut it in half lengthwise. Using a sharp knife, cut each half into 3/4 inch half circle shapes and add to a medium-sized bowl.
- Season the zucchini: To the bowl with the cut zucchini, add the olive oil, thyme, salt, and red pepper flakes. Toss to evenly coat.
- Air fry zucchini: Place the zucchini in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 5-8 minutes until tender, tossing once during the cooking time.
- Garnish and serve: Remove the zucchini from the air fryer with tongs. It should be crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Serve warm with lemon wedges and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
If you have a lot of zucchini, you can cook this recipe in batches.
- Use fresh zucchini for the best texture and flavor. Frozen zucchini can be used, but it will result in a soggier finished product. If using frozen, make sure to thaw it completely and removing as much moisture as possible before air frying.
- Choose medium or small sized zucchini. Larger zucchini contain a high water content and do not cook as easily as medium or small-sized vegetables. The larger zucchini also doesn’t contain as much flavor.
- Chop the zucchini pieces all roughly the same size to ensure even cooking time and temperature.
- If you find your air fryer zucchini is cooking too quickly on the outside but not softening on the inside, lower the temperature to 375°F and cook for an additional minute or two.
- Cook time may vary. Every air fryer is different which means that the cooking time will depend on your individual appliance and how thick you cut your zucchini. Always check at the halfway point to gauge how much time you need.
- Serve the zucchini with your favorite dipping sauces for a fun snack! Dip the zucchini into ranch dressing, honey mustard sauce and more.
Other Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Did you try this easy air fryer zucchini recipe? Try this delicious zucchini recipe and leave a recipe rating and review below.
Easy Air Fryer Zucchini
- 2 medium zucchini, (or 3 small)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim the stem and base ends off of the zucchini, then cut it in half lengthwise. Cut it into 3/4-inch pieces and place in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the zucchini. Season with thyme, salt and peppers and toss to coat.
- Place the zucchini in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 5 to 8 minutes until tender, tossing once during the cook time.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges and Parmesan, if desired.