Combine a few easy-to-find ingredients to make this delicious ice cream! No ice cream maker or churning is required. Prep in 5 minutes and freeze!
Ice cream is a delicious dessert choice for anyone. This is one of the best vegan ice creams and it’s made with only a few ingredients. You don’t even need an ice cream maker.
What does coconut milk ice cream taste like?
It’s rich, creamy and tastes slightly like coconut. The ice cream is made with coconut milk which helps create the creamy texture. Without additional flavor, it has a slightly coconut flavor. But, if you add cocoa, mint, vanilla or other flavors, the coconut flavor is subtle.
Ingredients you need
- Coconut Milk – Use full fat coconut milk.
- Coconut Oil – This helps create the smooth ice cream consistency. You can omit in a pinch, but it’s recommended for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – Use unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use dark cocoa but it will adjust the flavor slightly, to taste more like dark chocolate than milk chocolate.
- Sweetener – Confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup, honey or other similar sweetener work great.
- Vanilla – Always use pure vanilla extract.
- Salt – Kosher salt to help balance flavor and consistency.
This recipe couldn’t be any easier. Add all of the ingredient to a blender or food processor. Pulse until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour into a freezer safe container. You can use a plastic container with a lid or a freezer safe loaf pan. If using a loaf pan, cover gently with parchment paper or plastic wrap before freezing.
Ice Cream Tips
- If you want to chill it quicker, you can churn in an ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturers instructions for churn time.
- Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. This allows the mixture to soften so the ice cream is easy to scoop.
- You can also top with your favorite toppings such as cacao nibs, fruit, peanut butter sauce or sprinkles.
- Serve with or without a cone.
Other frozen treats
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Strawberry Red Wine Popsicles
- Pineapple Sherbet
- Mango Yogurt Popsicles
Ice cream is the perfect frozen treat any time of the year. Grab a scoop or two and enjoy!
Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Pulse for 10 to 15 seconds or until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into a freezer-safe container. Freeze for eight hours or overnight.
- Thaw for 5 to 10 minutes just prior to serving. Enjoy!
- Coconut milk: Use full fat coconut milk.
- Cocoa powder: Use unsweetened cocoa powder. You can use dark cocoa, but the ice cream will taste more like dark chocolate ice cream.
- Sweetener: Confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup, honey or other similar honey work great.
- If you want to chill it quicker, you can churn in an ice cream maker.
- Top with your favorite ice cream toppings like cocao nibs, fruit, peanut butter sauce or sprinkles.
This recipe was originally published in August 2018. It was updated with new photos, tips and notes in August 2020.