Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Marshmallow Frosting are a classic recipe that everyone will love! Made with fresh strawberries, whipped marshmallow buttercream and delectable chocolate cake.
Did you see the news? To say that we are excited is probably an understatement. To celebrate the impending arrival of our little girl, I made these simple chocolate cupcakes with strawberry marshmallow frosting. Homemade marshmallow buttercream frosting is blended with fresh strawberry puree and layered on top of classic chocolate cake to create a cupcake that is packed with fresh flavor.
If she is anything like her mom, our little girl will love strawberries. If she is anything like her dad she will love chocolate. (ok, mom loves chocolate too!) I combined the two flavors to create a cupcake fit for a little girl or anyone that loves cupcakes. Cupcakes are the best way to make an announcement because everyone loves homemade cupcakes. I baked a few dozen every time we wanted to share the news. All foodies in training need pretty little cupcakes to announce their impending arrival.
For our announcement to friends and coworkers, I added the fun little “it’s a girl” fondant cupcake toppers that you can see in the picture above. I purchased the toppers on Etsy and was really happy with the quality and flavor.
For the cake, I used a trusted simple chocolate cupcake recipe and my popular marshmallow buttercream frosting recipe with the addition of fresh strawberry puree. A simple yet beautiful cupcake is made for sharing with your friends and family. Go ahead, bake a batch and enjoy!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Marshmallow Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream
For the frosting:
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 7 ounce jar Marshmallow fluff
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
To make the cupcakes:
Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk and set aside. In another bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water until smooth.
- Melt the butter with the sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the butter is completely melted. Remove from heat, and transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-low speed until the mixture is cooled, about 4-5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Blend in the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture until smooth. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three additions alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients and mixing each addition just until incorporated.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared liners, filling each about ¾-full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 18 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking. Let cool in the pan about 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the buttercream frosting:
Puree the strawberries in a food processor. Strain the puree through a fine mesh sieve placed over a bowl to remove the seeds. Add butter to the clean bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add marshmallow fluff and salt; beat for an additional minute. Add strawberry puree, a tablespoon at a time, until desired color and flavor is reached. Beat on high for about 30 seconds to lighten the frosting.
- Pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Enjoy!
Nutrition InformationCalories: 337, Fat: 17g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 66mg, Sodium: 160mg, Potassium: 90mg, Carbohydrates: 44g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 31g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 550%, Vitamin C: 2.9%, Calcium: 27%, Iron: 1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Don’t miss these other berry-licious cupcakes: