Ground turkey, quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes and Mexican spices all cooked together in just one skillet! This healthy and delicious Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet dinner will become your family’s favorite weeknight dinner.
This recipe is one of the most popular meals on this site. Danae from Recipe Runner shares this recipe for an easy one pot meal made with ground turkey. It tastes delicious served on it’s own or in tacos to create an easy turkey taco recipe. We know that you’re going to love this easy healthy meal!
This skillet dinner comes together in 30 to 40 minutes, making it a great weeknight dinner option. Combine a few spices and ingredients to create an easy Mexican quinoa skillet in one pan.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Turkey: You can substitute with ground chicken or beef, if desired.
- Seasonings: Onion, garlic, diced green chilis, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper add the perfect amount of Mexican flavors.
- Black Beans: You can omit or substitute with another type of bean.
- Tomatoes: Use fire roasted tomatoes for best flavor. Standard diced tomatoes work too.
- Corn: Use frozen or fresh corn kernels.
- Salsa: Fresh or jarred salsa adds flavor. Use hot salsa for additional heat.
- Quinoa: Use uncooked rinsed quinoa. Any variety works.
- Cheese: Use a mixture of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese. You can omit the cheese to make this dairy free.
- Optional: Serve in taco shells and garnish with cilantro and sour cream.
How to Make Ground Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
This easy skillet dinner cooks in one pan in 30 minutes!
- Cook the diced onion over medium heat in a skillet for about two minutes.
- Add the ground turkey and minced garlic.
- Once cooked, stir in the spices and green chiles and cook for one minute.
- Add the black beans, corn, quinoa and other ingredients.
- Simmer for about 25 minutes then sprinkle with cheese and serve.
- Serve this quinoa dinner it in tortillas as tacos or on top of your favorite greens. The entire meal can be prepped in advance too!
Make Ahead: This meal can be prepped in advance and works great as meal prep. Reheat leftovers just prior to serving.
- To make it dairy free, omit the cheese or use dairy free cheese.
- Serve it in tortillas for tacos or on top of your favorite greens like a taco salad.
- Add sautéed onions or mushrooms for additional texture and flavor.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime juice for additional flavor.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like chopped avocado, diced cilantro, sour cream and fresh salsa.
Storing and Freezing
- Storing: Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freezing: Store in a sealed air tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
- Reheating: Warm leftovers in a skillet on a stove or microwave until warm. You can add a splash of water or vegetable broth when reheating.
Healthy Meals with Ground Turkey
We love adding ground turkey to any meal. You can often substitute ground beef for turkey. Below are a few of our favorite healthy recipes that use ground turkey.
- Seasoned Ground Turkey (for tacos and more!)
- Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes (use ground turkey instead)
- Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Southwest Turkey Breakfast Skillet
- Turkey Enchiladas
- Italian Turkey Meatballs
- Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
We know you’re going to love this Mexican Quinoa skillet with ground turkey and simple seasonings. It’s been tried and reviewed thousands of times and we hope you love it too.
Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey, (I use 99% lean)
- 1/2 yellow onion,, diced
- 2 cloves garlic,, minced
- 4 ounce can diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, , to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans,, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro, , for garnish
- Spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the diced onion and cook for about 2 minutes until it starts to soften. Add in the ground turkey and minced garlic and cook until the meat is almost cooked through, breaking it up into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Stir in all the spices and the diced green chiles, cooking for another minute. Add in the black beans, corn, fire roasted tomatoes, salsa and quinoa, stirring until everything is combined.
- When the mixture starts to bubble add in the water, cover the skillet with a lid and lower the heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked, it should still have a slight bite to it, but not be hard and crunchy.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and cover with the lid cooking until the cheese is melted. Serve as is, in tortillas for tacos, or on top of your favorite greens.
This recipe was originally published by Danae of Recipe Runner in January 2016. It was updated with new process photos and tips in April 2021.