Sloppy Joes get a fun facelift with the addition of buffalo wing sauce and a delicious blue cheese ranch sauce. These homemade buffalo chicken sloppy joes are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner! They are made with ground turkey or chicken to create a lightened up recipe made in less than 30 minutes.
Hello there Spoonful of Flavor friends! Danae from Recipe Runner back to share a recipe that I make multiple times per month, so you know it’s going to be good! Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes are made with ground chicken or turkey in less than 30 minutes. This recipe is a fun alternative to a traditional buffalo chicken sandwich or traditional sloppy joes. Ground chicken or turkey is combined with a few simple ingredients a homemade ranch sauce to create an easy weeknight meal you can make again and again. The buffalo sauce adds the best texture and flavor. If you love buffalo chicken, try our Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Buffalo Chicken Salad, Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip, One Pan Buffalo Chicken Pasta, Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip or Buffalo Chicken Tacos.
How to make sloppy joes
To make these buffalo chicken sloppy joes, spray a large skillet with cooking oil or a tablespoon of olive oil. Heat over medium high heat and saute onion, carrots and celery until soft, or about 3 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and saute another minute. Add in ground chicken or turkey and break it up into crumbles with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the chicken and vegetables until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Add in the chicken broth or water and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the skillet.
Instead of a traditional sloppy joe sauce, we use a buffalo sauce. In a small bowl or measuring glass, whisk together tomato sauce, buffalo wing sauce, Worcestershire and apple cider vinegar. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir together until everything is coated.
Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Serve on hamburger buns and top with blue cheese ranch sauce.
Blue cheese ranch sauce
To make the blue cheese ranch sauce, add Greek yogurt and crumbled blue cheese to a small bowl. Use the bank of a fork to mash the blue cheese into the yogurt. Whisk in buttermilk, lemon juice, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Serve with the buffalo chicken sloppy joes.
Sloppy Joes are a classic favorite. I remember my mom making them often, probably because they are so easy and only use one pan. Homemade sloppy joes are the real deal, made with fresh ingredients in little time.
These sloppy joes are a healthier alternative to the canned version. This recipe uses lean ground chicken or turkey for the sloppy joes meat. The final touch on these buffalo chicken sloppy Joes is the blue cheese ranch sauce. This sauce is delicious and healthier than most store-bought sauces. Greek yogurt, blue cheese crumbles and the typical dried spices you find in a ranch dressing are all included.
These sloppy Joes are perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or your weekend game day grub! Try these buffalo chicken sloppy joes and then one of these other sloppy joe recipes below.
Sloppy joes recipes
- Classic homemade sloppy joes – a homemade version of the classic beef and sauce sandwich!
- Healthier sloppy joes are like to classic recipe but are made with lean ground beef, low-sugar and low-fat cheese.
- Vegan sloppy joes – made with chickpeas and a few simple ingredients.
- Vegan lentil sloppy joes – a vegan alternative to sloppy joes made with lentils!
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes:
- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
- ½ of a yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalk of celery diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup buffalo wing sauce I use Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Hamburger buns for serving
Blue Cheese Ranch Sauce:
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley crushed between the palms of your hands
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Over medium high heat, spray a large skillet generously with cooking spray or add a tablespoon of oil.
- When the skillet is hot, sauté the onion, carrots and celery until they start to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add in the ground chicken and break it up into crumbles with a wooden spoon.
- Season with a teaspoon of kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cook the chicken and vegetables until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add in the chicken broth or water and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- In a small bowl or measuring glass whisk together the tomato sauce, wing sauce, Worcestershire and apple cider vinegar.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and stir together until everything is coated.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve on hamburger buns topped with the blue cheese ranch sauce.
Blue Cheese Ranch Sauce
- In a small bowl add in the Greek yogurt and crumbled blue cheese.
- Use the back of a fork to mash the blue cheese into the yogurt.
- Whisk in the buttermilk and remaining ingredients.
- Serve immediately on top of the sloppy Joes or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 282, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 109mg, Sodium: 1715mg, Potassium: 1072mg, Carbohydrates: 12g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 7g, Protein: 30g, Vitamin A: 5425%, Vitamin C: 10.3%, Calcium: 172%, Iron: 1.8%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
Connect with Danae: