Things are about to get cheesy here! Tomorrow, April 12th is National Grilled Cheese Day. And most would agree that grilled cheese is something well worth celebrating. There are even restaurants solely dedicated to the perfect grilled cheese. Grilled cheese is something that both children and adults love and the options are endless. In celebration of the holiday, I’m sharing the ultimate BLT grilled cheese.
The sandwich is piled high with seven ingredients – lettuce, tomato, bacon, onions, cheddar cheese, guacamole and chipotle mayo. I have to admit, I don’t indulge in BLT’s that often, but grilled cheese day is certainly reason to enjoy a warm sandwiched piled high with melty cheese. And, this sandwich is the ultimate grown-up grilled cheese. I mean why settle for less, when you could have it piled high with all the good stuff and then grilled until melty. Grilled cheese is a favorite weekend lunch. It’s quick and easy and the options are endless.
Besides the cheese, the guacamole and chipotle mayo are my favorite things about this sandwich. They really elevate your standard BLT sandwich to a whole new level.
Cheese is my favorite dairy product. I love yogurt too, but there is something about all that cheesy goodness that I absolutely love. So many flavors and textures to choose from, there is a cheese fit for every sandwich.
How are you going to celebrate grilled cheese day? Do you like your grilled cheese simple or loaded with flavors?
Join me as we celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day. Pick your favorite cheese, layer on the ingredients and get cheesy!
The Ultimate BLT Grilled Cheese
For the chipotle mayo:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce
For the sandwich:
- 4 slices bacon, (use up to 6 slices)
- 4 slices loaf bread
- 1/4 cup loose leaf lettuce
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 slices tomato
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons guacamole
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
To make the mayo:
- In a food processor combine chipotle chili and mayonnaise. Pulse until smooth; set aside.
For the sandwich:
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat a clean pan over medium heat. Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread a layer of chipotle mayo over each slice of bread. Layer the lettuce, onion, tomato, cheese and guacamole over 2 slices of bread, dividing ingredients evenly. Top with remaining bread slices.
- Grill over medium heat until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Use gluten free bread to make it gluten free.