This easy recipe for Baked Mediterranean Chicken is a great way to make a simple and flavorful dinner all in one skillet. Great for a weeknight dinner or healthy meal prep!
One of my very favorite ways to prepare chicken is by combining it with the fresh flavors of the Mediterranean. Not only do they taste delicious, but they are full of nutrients and healthy fats coming from olive oil and olives themselves.
Soak the chicken breast in a flavorful marinade before adding to the skillet with Mediterranean vegetables. Bake the entire dish in the oven and then top with salty feta and sun dried tomatoes.
Serve on it’s own or with a comforting side dish like Garlic Mashed Potatoes or Mediterranean Chickpea Salad.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons we love this chicken skillet.
- It’s high in protein. With chicken breast, this dinner is high in protein which will keep you full and satisfied.
- It cooks in one skillet. Bake the chicken and vegetables in one pan to make clean up easy.
- Beautifully tender chicken. Marinate the chicken breast in a blend of olive oil, lemon juice, salt pepper and oregano to flavor and tenderize the chicken.
- Makes great leftovers and meal prep. If you have any leftovers, this recipe makes a great lunch to take to work the next day or to repeat for dinner later that week.
- Serve with a variety of sides. The beauty of this dish is that you can serve it with many different types of sides ranging from comforting potato or pasta dishes to a basic garden salad.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Mediterranean Chicken Seasoning
- Olive Oil – Olive oil coats the chicken breast and gives the marinade it’s base.
- Lemon Juice – Juice from freshly squeezed lemons adds acidity and freshness that helps to tenderize the chicken.
- Garlic Cloves – Garlic is a great flavor addition that pairs well with chicken.
- Dried Oregano – A classic Mediterannean herb that is bold in flavor and pairs well with the rest of the dish.
- Salt & Pepper – These two spices help balance out the flavors in the dish and can be adjusted to your liking.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast – You’ll need to split these and use a meat tenderizer to make them flat and even. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Dry White Wine – This helps deglaze the pan and give a great flavor throughout the dish. If you want to make this recipe alcohol free, just use more chicken broth.
- Chicken Broth – Also helps deglaze the pan and give the dish deeper flavor.
- Artichoke Hearts – You’ll need a can of artichoke hearts that are drained and quartered to center around the chicken before baking.
- Grape Tomatoes – Add freshness, color and a hint of natural sweetness.
- Kalamata Olives – A classic ingredient in Mediterranean cooking, these olives add a salty and tangy bite that pairs well with the other flavors.
- Red Onion – Red onion is a bit more mild than white onion and adds an aromatic flavor.
Toppings and Garnish
- Crumbled Feta Cheese – This salty greek cheese adds texture and a salty flavor to the finished product.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – Add these on top for a pop of color, texture and a deep tomato flavor.
- Fresh Parsley – Gives the finished product a fresh garden look and flavor.
- Lemon Slices – Fresh lemon brings out all the flavors in this chicken bake.
How to Make Baked Mediterranean Chicken Dinner
- Prepare the chicken: Pound your chicken breasts until they are all even in thickness. Whisk together marinade and add it to a bag along with chicken breasts to marinate 1 to 4 hours.
- Sear the chicken: Discard the marinade and add chicken to a hot skillet, searing a few minutes each side.
- Deglaze the pan: Add chicken broth and dry white wine to the skillet to deglaze the pan then simmer to reduce the liquid by half.
- Assemble the chicken bake: Add the chicken back in and nestle the vegetables around the chicken evenly.
- Bake the chicken dinner: Cover the top with foil and bake until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, about 20-25 minutes.
- Add more toppings: Top with sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes, then garnish with parsley and lemon slices before serving.
- It’s important to make sure the chicken breasts are all the same size. This will help them cook evenly.
- Sear the chicken for the best flavor! You won’t want to skip the step of searing the chicken as it creates flavor, color and a “crust” on the outside that will help keep the inside of the chicken juicy and tender.
- Because this dish cooks at high heat, make sure you are covering the skillet with foil to make sure it doesn’t dry out or burn.
- You can marinate the chicken in the seasoning for up to 24 hours for maximum flavor.
- Serve this chicken over rice, pasta, salad, quinoa or even mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower.
Storing and Freezing
- Storing: This chicken bake can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days in the fridge.
- Freezing: You can freeze this chicken dinner by adding it to an airtight container or freezer safe bag making sure to remove all the air for up to 3 months. The tomatoes may not hold their shape as well when defrosting but will still be delicious!
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat until it’s warmed through to your liking.
More Chicken Skillet Dinner Recipes
- Maple Dijon Chicken Skillet
- One Pot Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Healthy Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Creamy Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- Chicken and Potatoes
Did you try this Baked Mediterranean Chicken dinner? Leave a recipe rating and review below.
Baked Mediterranean Chicken
- 2.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, split in half
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for cooking
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 15.5 ounces quartered artichoke hearts, drained (1 can)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 8 ounces kalamata olives, drained
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, undrained
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Pound the chicken breasts evenly, then place them in a plastic zipped top bag or large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken, seal and massage into the chicken, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it in the hot skillet; discard the marinade.
- Sear the chicken, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Add the white wine and deglaze the pan, then add the chicken broth and simmer, reducing the liquid by half. Remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Place half of the artichoke hearts, tomatoes, olives and onion, in the bottom of the skillet, then place the chicken on top. Tuck the remaining vegetables around the chicken. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant thermometer.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sun-dried tomatoes and feta cheese. Bake, uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with lemon slices and fresh parsley.
You had me at One Skillet dinner! Love an easy to make meal that’s delicious. And this did not disappoint. Thanks for always having a terrific assortment of dinner ideas ready to go. I can always trust your recipes because they always turn out perfectly. This baked mediterranean chicken has great flavor. Can’t wait to make it again.
All my favorite flavors in one dish. Yum! I’m excited to try this. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
All of my favorites in one dish! I love anything with feta cheese!
It’s so easy to make and full of flavor. My family loves it and will make it again!
Absolutely love these Mediterranean flavors! A mealtime favorite around here.