This Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry is made with lemon honey flavor and comes together in just 30 minutes. Skip takeout and make this tastier and healthier version instead!
Chicken and broccoli stir fry is a classic dish. We add our own fun twist and use fresh lemon and honey to create the freshest flavors. Danae from Recipe Runner here today with an easy and tasty weeknight dinner. Yes, we’re making our own takeout!
Homemade takeout is better than anything you order at your favorite Asian restaurant. Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love eating the fried, crispy Chinese food as much as anyone. But, when you finish eating takeout you often don’t feel very good. So we created homemade versions of our favorite takeout dish.
How to make healthy chicken and broccoli stir fry
This recipe is easy to do, less expensive than takeout and contains only a fraction of the calories. It’s fresh and always delicious.
- Step 1: Prepare the chicken. Whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add chopped chicken to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate the chicken in the marinade for at least 15 minutes or even a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Step 2: Prepare the stir fry sauce. Whisk together chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, ginger, garlic, sriracha, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Step 3: Cook the broccoli. Preheat a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add oil and chopped broccoli. Str fry for about 2 minutes until the broccoli is bright green, but still crisp. Transfer to a plate.
- Step 4: Cook the chicken. Add another teaspoon of oil to the skillet and add the chicken (leaving the marinade liquid in the bowl.) Cook the chicken until cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Step 5: Combine everything together. Add the broccoli back to the skillet with the chicken. Pour in the stir fry sauce and cook until it starts to thicken, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with rice or quinoa.
What goes with chicken stir fry?
Chicken stir fry tastes great on its own or served with a simple side of grains. We love preparing Instant Pot Brown Rice to serve with the dish. A side of quinoa or Chow Mein tastes great with it too.
This homemade version of a classic takeout favorite combines fresh lemon flavor with sweet honey. The sauce is thickened with a little cornstarch, but don’t expect it to be that ultra thick sticky coating like you find on your takeout. It’s a lighter, healthier version.
Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken and Broccoli:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts , cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce, (use Tamari to make the recipe gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- Quinoa, or brown or white rice for serving
Honey Lemon Chicken and Broccoli Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey, (use 3 if you want it sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha, (optional but I liked the bit of heat it added)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add chicken to the marinade, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate the chicken in the marinade for at least 15 minutes or even a few hours.
- While the chicken is marinating prepare stir-fry sauce, whisking all the ingredients together.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok over high heat. When the skillet is hot add in a couple teaspoon of oil and then the chopped broccoli florets. Stir-fry the broccoli for about 2 minutes, until it is bright green, but still crisp. Remove the broccoli from the skillet onto a plate.
- Add another teaspoon or so of oil to the skillet then add in the chicken, leaving the liquid from the marinade in the bowl. Stir fry the chicken until it is cooked through, about 3 minutes, then add the broccoli back in.
- Pour the stir fry sauce in with the chicken and broccoli and stir it around until it starts to thicken and coat everything, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the stir fry from the heat and serve over quinoa or rice.
- Nutritional information does not include rice or quinoa for serving.
- Store leftovers in a container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Connect with Danae: