This Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry is full of sweet lemon flavor and comes together in just 30 minutes! Skip the not so healthy takeout and swap it out for this tastier and better for you version instead!
Hi friends! Danae from Recipe Runner here today with an easy and tasty weeknight dinner, Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry. Yep, we’re making our own takeout. I probably don’t even have to tell you how much healthier it is than anything you order at your favorite Asian restaurant.
Now don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love eating all that fried, crispy, sticky Chinese food as much as the next person. You won’t see me turn down an egg roll or fried wonton. But let’s be real, when you finish eating takeout you feel bloated and just want to lie on the couch for the rest of the night. Don’t even get me started about how many times I wake up in the middle of the night needing water because of all the salt!
To avoid the bloated, coma inducing, water craving issues I’ve love making my own Chinese takeout. It’s easy to do, less expensive, a fraction of the calories and none of the unwanted side effects. It’s super delicious too! I’m on a lemon kick lately so I decided to keep rolling with it and make this Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry.
Lemon honey chicken is one of my favorite things to order when we do go out for Chinese food. I love the fresh lemon flavor with that sweet honey. So good! I mimic the flavor in the stir-fry sauce. The broccoli was a last minute addition, but the dish was lacking in color and needed a vegetable. Broccoli just happens to be one that my husband will eat. The sauce is thickened with a little cornstarch, but don’t expect it to be that ultra thick sticky coating like you find on your takeout. The Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry comes together in about 30 minutes making it a great choice for a healthy weeknight dinner!
Lemon Honey Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
Honey Lemon Chicken and Broccoli:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce use Tamari to make the recipe gluten-free
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- Quinoa brown or white rice for serving
Honey Lemon Chicken and Broccoli Sauce:
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey use 3 if you want it sweeter
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sriracha optional but I liked the bit of heat it added
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt and pepper.
- Chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and add it to the marinade, tossing to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate the chicken in the marinade for at least 15 minutes or even a few hours.
- While the chicken is marinating prepare stir-fry sauce, whisking all the ingredients together.
- Preheat a large skillet or wok over high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add in a couple teaspoon of oil and then the chopped broccoli florets.
- Stir-fry the broccoli for about 2 minutes, until it is bright green, but still crisp.
- Remove the broccoli from the skillet onto a plate.
- Add another teaspoon or so of oil to the skillet then add in the chicken, leaving the liquid from the marinade in the bowl.
- Stir fry the chicken until it is cooked through, about 3 minutes, then add the broccoli back in.
- Pour the stir-fry sauce in with the chicken and broccoli and stir it around until it starts to thicken and coat everything, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the stir-fry from the heat and serve over quinoa or rice.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 208, Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 72mg, Sodium: 595mg, Potassium: 579mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Sugar: 9g, Protein: 26g, Vitamin A: 245%, Vitamin C: 32.8%, Calcium: 22%, Iron: 0.9%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.
More Takeout Inspired Recipes
Connect with Danae: