Mediterranean Chopped Salad is a simple salad made with the freshest flavors including grape tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and more!
I haven’t posted any pictures of my garden lately because it has been a big disappointment this summer. We planted our usual assortment of spring veggies and flowers back in early spring and then planted another batch in late spring. We haven’t had a good harvest of anything, except maybe the basil and parsley, but the caterpillars finished off my parsley earlier this week. I’m not really sure what the problem is, I think it may just be a combination of the warm winter weather and some pests that decided to make an appearance this year.
Last summer it seemed like we had endless amounts of squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and eggplant. I remember eating so much eggplant that, at the end of the season, I didn’t know if I would ever be able to eat it again. This year, I’ve been anxiously waiting for my plants to produce just one. So far, no eggplant. The only possibility of a good harvest is our watermelon. We planted crimson sweet watermelon this year and have at least a half dozen good-sized melons. I’m hoping that, in a few weeks, I will be able to share some of my favorite watermelon recipes.
Since our harvest this year has been dismal, I’ve been relying more on the farmers market for fresh produce. The farmers market still has plenty of seasonal summer veggies, including tomatoes, cucumbers and parsley. This chopped salad combines some of my favorite Mediterranean flavors for a fresh, flavorful and filling meal.
Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- 1 medium cucumber peeled, seeded and diced into ½ inch chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove minced
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 romaine heart cut into ½ inch pieces
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- dash ground black pepper
- Combine cucumber, tomatoes, and salt in colander set over a bowl. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, and garlic together in large bowl. Add drained cucumber and tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, onion, and parsley; toss and let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Add romaine and feta; toss to combine. Season with pepper and serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 316, Fat: 26g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 33mg, Sodium: 1568mg, Potassium: 701mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 8g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin A: 5755%, Vitamin C: 40.9%, Calcium: 254%, Iron: 2.1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.