These easy to make Mini Bacon Butternut Squash Cups are a flavorful bite perfect for a fall party or holiday appetizer! Creamy butternut squash and sage filling topped with crisp salty bacon is a bite that’s hard to resist!
Happy Friday! Danae from Recipe Runner and I made an easy fall appetizer just in time for the weekend, Mini Bacon Butternut Squash Cups!
Fall is such a great time of the year for parties and gatherings with friends and family. Summer is fun for all the outdoor barbecues, pool parties and picnics, but I love the cozy feeling you get when you host or go to a fall party. It’s so inviting to walk into a warm house on a chilly day and have the smell of your favorite apple or pumpkin candle burning, the savory smells from the crockpot and something sweet baking in the oven. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking about it.
Fall party food tends to be less about everything grilled, tropical cocktails and cold creamy desserts and more about comfort food. The swimsuits are done for the season so carbs and cheese are back on the menu. These Mini Bacon Butternut Squash Cups are perfect for a fall party. They’re easy to make, handheld and full of that fall comfort food flavor. The butternut squash filling is simply a puréed mixture of the squash, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, a splash of milk and fresh sage. Sage and butternut squash are a terrific pairing if you’ve never tried them together, definitely use fresh instead of dried.
The filling is spooned into mini phyllo shells or piped in with a pastry bag and tip for a fancier presentation. They’re then topped with little bits of chopped bacon and warmed up in the oven for a few minutes. The creamy, slightly sweet butternut squash filling paired with the salty bacon is the perfect fall bite! Not only will these be a hit at your next fall party, but with Thanksgiving just around the corner they’ll make a great appetizer to serve before the big feast.
Mini Bacon Butternut Squash Cups
- 1 cup cooked butternut squash cubed
- 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 slices cooked bacon finely chopped
- 15 mini phyllo shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook the bacon and chop into small pieces.
- Add all of the ingredients except the bacon and phyllo shells to the bowl of a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Use a piping bag and tip or a spoon to fill the mini phyllo shells.
- Top with the bacon and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes and serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 37, Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 63mg, Potassium: 58mg, Carbohydrates: 3g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 1015%, Vitamin C: 2%, Calcium: 16%, Iron: 0.1%
*Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for the most accurate nutritional info.