This Sausage Egg Bake is an easy breakfast recipe made from fresh and simple ingredients! Combine breakfast sausage, greens, broccoli, red pepper, and feta cheese with eggs to create a meal that tastes great for any meal of the day.
This egg and sausage breakfast casserole is a versatile breakfast bake that is enjoyed any time of the year. Fresh vegetables and hearty breakfast sausage along with salty feta cheese create a meal that is packed with protein and nutrients and can be customized in many different ways.
This sausage egg bake is a great choice for breakfast or brunch any day of the week and reheats well too. Kids and adults love this meal! Make this dish at the beginning of the week and reheat it for breakfast, snacks, or lunches throughout the week.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s packed with health greens and proteins for a well-balanced meal.
- You can make a large batch and use it for meal prep later in the week.
- Customize the veggies, cheese, and meat.
- Enjoy for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or as a high-protein snack.
- Eat it warm, or cold on the go!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Breakfast Sausage – Ground breakfast sausage works great in this recipe, but you can also use chopped breakfast sausage links or patties.
- Onion & Garlic – Adds a garlic and onion flavor that pairs well with eggs and sausage.
- Spinach – Gives this breakfast bake a healthy dose of greens and fiber.
- Chopped Broccoli – Adds fiber, flavor, and crunch.
- Chopped Red Pepper – Gives this feta breakfast bake a pop of red color and fresh garden taste.
- Crumbled Feta – Adds a salty bite to this meal that pairs well with all the flavors.
- Eggs – Binds the casserole together and adds protein.
- Fat-Free Milk – Helps distribute the flavors and ingredients in the breakfast bake and gives it a creamy taste.
- Salt & Pepper – Balances and enhances all the flavors in the breakfast bake.
How To Make Sausage Egg Bake
Step 1. Prepare for baking. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Step 2. Cook the breakfast sausage & veggies. Add sausage to a large skillet set over medium heat. Crumble and cook for 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until browned. Add greens, broccoli, and red pepper and cook about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
Step 3. Assemble the breakfast casserole & bake. Pour the cooked veggie and sausage mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with feta cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Pour over sausage-vegetable mixture and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
- Chop all veggies evenly, making sure to cut them into the same size for even cooking.
- Grease the casserole dish before baking as the ingredient could stick.
- When pouring the veggie and sausage mixture into the casserole dish, distribute it evenly to make sure you get a taste of everything in each bite.
- Let the sausage egg bake cool slightly before cutting and serving. This gives a chance for the eggs to set which will make them easier to remove from the pan.
- Make this breakfast casserole dairy-free by removing the feta cheese. You can leave it out or add your favorite non-dairy shredded cheese substitute.
- A vegetarian breakfast bake is easy to make by removing the breakfast sausage and replacing it with more veggies, or adding a plant-based veggie sausage substitute.
- Change up the cheese: Add cheddar, pepper jack, gouda, or mozzarella.
- Use paleo breakfast sausage and omit the cheese for a satisfying paleo breakfast.
- Substitute the milk for dairy-free milk, heavy cream or water, if needed.
- Add some spice by sprinkling the top with red chili flake or adding diced jalapeno to the vegetable mixture.
- Add your favorite combination of greens and vegetables.
More Breakfast Recipes Using Eggs
- Easy Chili Rellenos Casserole
- Ham and Spinach Fritatta
- Easy Breakfast Burrito
- Easy Spinach & Feta Quiche
Sausage Egg Bake
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ounces spinach
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 10 eggs
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add sausage to a large skillet set over medium heat. Crumble and cook for 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until browned. Add greens, broccoli and red pepper and cook about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with feta cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and the milk. Pour over sausage-vegetable mixture and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until eggs are set. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
I made this last year for our family on Christmas morning. I would like to make this ahead of time & freeze. Thoughts?
Yes, you can make it ahead and freeze. To freeze, let it cool completely then cover with plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. It also helps to bake it in a disposable aluminum pan. You can also make it ahead and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Can you make this without the broccoli and how about mushroom
Yes, you can easily swap the broccoli with mushrooms or another vegetable. Enjoy!