Everybody loves sandwiches. Paninis, subs, grinders, muffalettas, pitas, and po’boys. I’ll take them all, hot or cold. What I love even more is a sandwich that is fresh and flavorful. You know, the kind where the bread is light and airy and the ingredients taste like they have been picked straight out of the garden. When we travel, I always like to scope out the best local sandwich shop because you can always find something that is fresh and unique.
This grilled chicken pesto sandwich meets all of the criteria for a perfect sandwich, it’s fresh, flavorful and tastes just like you picked it straight out of the garden. Freshly made pesto, grilled chicken, sliced tomato and warm mozzarella combine to produce the perfect sandwich. The ingredients also work well layered on the rosemary focaccia bread I posted about earlier this week.
Feel free to use your favorite store-bought or homemade basil pesto.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 6 oz. mozzarella, sliced
- 1 loaf focaccia, sliced into 4 pieces, each cut in half horizontally
- ½ cup basil pesto, or more to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- romaine lettuce, for serving
- Lightly brush the chicken breasts with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Brush and oil the grill grate.
- Place the chicken on the grill directly over the fire and cook until the juices run clear and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 to 8 minutes on each side. About 2 minutes before the chicken is ready, place a slice of cheese on each breast half, cover the grill and allow the cheese to melt.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spread the bread slices with pesto. Arrange one breast half on each of the 4 bread pieces. Top with tomato slices and lettuce. Serve warm.
Spoonful of Flavor original