Classic Key lime pie is made with only six ingredients, including sweetened condensed milk to make a smooth and creamy filling. Baked in a graham cracker crust, each bite is sweet, zesty and delicious!
Hello Spoonful of Flavor readers! Haley here from If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen. I’m happy to share a new recipe with you today! Just in time for summer, this 6-ingredient classic key lime pie is a refreshing dessert to make for friends and family.
Anyone who has made key lime pie before knows that the key (no pun intended) to a good pie is fresh lime juice. Yes, it requires a little extra work, but it’s smooth sailing after those limes are squeezed.
For those of you who don’t know, the difference between key limes and regular limes is in the juice. Key limes contain more concentrated aromatic juices, which gives the pie more flavor. Key limes are also more yellow and smaller than regular limes.
Because key limes are so tiny, this recipe calls for a lot of them. I used around 50 key limes to make 3/4 fresh squeezed juice. The process went pretty quickly since I used my citrus squeezer!
Like I said, once the limes are juiced, the rest of the recipe is simple. The filling only requires a couple more ingredients, the primary being sweetened condensed milk. This makes the key lime pie incredibly smooth and rich.
I also baked a homemade graham cracker pie crust. In my opinion, this is the best crust for key lime pie. Its buttery, sweetness and crunchy texture compliments the citrusy smooth filling perfectly.
Give the 6-ingredient classic key lime pie recipe a try and be prepared to share with friends and family. It’s a rich dessert packed with lots of flavor!
6-ingredient Classic Key Lime Pie
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 5 hours
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 5 hours 15 minutes
6-ingredient Classic Key lime pie is made with only six ingredients, including sweetened condensed milk to make a smooth and creamy filling. Baked in a graham cracker crust, each bite is sweet, zesty and delicious!
For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups (127 g or 7 graham crackers) finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
For the Key Lime Pie:
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk (about two 14 ounce cans)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup key lime juice¹
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
To make the Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a medium bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter until well combined. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake at 375° F for 7 minutes. Cool completely.
To make the Key Lime Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice zest. Mix well and pour into baked graham cracker crust. Tap pie plate gently on the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until the filling is set and barely jiggles. Do not brown. Chill pie thoroughly (at least 4 hours) before serving. Garnish with lime slices or zest and whipped cream if desired.
- For the best flavor, juice your own key limes or buy a bottle of key lime juice from the store. It is usually located with the regular lime juice and lemon juice. The Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice brand is the one I like.
Recipe from Haley at If You Give a Blonde a Kitchen// All images and text ©