Combine a few simple ingredients in a saucepan to make this fresh homemade apple cranberry sauce recipe! This homemade cranberry sauce is packed with flavor and is paleo and naturally gluten free.
Cranberry sauce is a must on any Thanksgiving menu! I like my cranberry sauce thick, flavorful and slightly sweet. Homemade apple cranberry sauce is our favorite. This recipe includes fresh orange and ginger to make it even better. The healthy cranberry sauce is paleo and naturally gluten free. It also includes a small amount of honey for natural sweetness. Make this cranberry sauce recipe once and it will quickly turn into a family favorite.
How to make apple cranberry sauce
To make this easy apple cranberry sauce, combine fresh cranberries, apples, honey, fresh ginger, ground cinnamon, the zest and juice from an orange and balsamic vinegar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cover and cook for 18 to 20 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the liquid thickens.
How do you make the best homemade cranberry sauce?
The best cranberry sauce starts with fresh cranberries. Simmer the cranberries on a stove with other high quality ingredients like cinnamon, honey and citrus zest.
How do you make cranberry sauce with apples?
To make apple cranberry sauce, add chopped apples to a medium sauce pan with the fresh cranberries. Simmer over medium-low heat with honey, fresh ginger, cinnamon, orange juice, orange zest and balsamic vinegar. The combination of flavors creates the best apple cranberry sauce.
How do you sweeten cranberry sauce?
You can sweeten cranberry sauce with any sweetener. We like to use natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup, but you can also use granulated or brown sugar, depending on your taste preference. Use a small amount of honey for a paleo cranberry sauce.
Can cranberry sauce be frozen?
Yes, homemade cranberry sauce can be frozen. Store the cranberry sauce in an airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
What do you eat cranberry sauce with?
Cranberry sauce is the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving day menu. We love enjoying cranberry sauce throughout the year with our favorite dinner recipes.
Recipes to eat with cranberry sauce
- Mashed Red Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Herb Roasted Turkey
- Broccoli, Chicken and Cheese Rice Casserole
We know that you’re going to love this homemade cranberry sauce as much as we do. Try it and then let us know what you think!
Apple Cranberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 medium apples,, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest and juice from one orange
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 18 to 20 minutes, until the fruit is tender and the liquid has thickened. The sauce will thicken as it cools. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- You can make the cranberry sauce a day or two in advance, store in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature just prior to serving.
- You can omit the ginger, if desired, but it won't be as flavorful.
- Freeze the cranberry sauce in a freezer safe container for up to three months. Defrost in the refrigerator before serving.