Kale, egg and cheese scramble is an easy breakfast with fresh kale, red pepper, onions and cheese. Start the day with a hearty meal packed with protein and vitamins!
Are you still in a cookie coma from the holidays? While I ate a few cookies, I also enjoyed plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. My garden is at the peak of its winter harvest which means that it is packed with green goodness.
I love winter produce because it is adds a burst of color and freshness to an otherwise cold day. Kale, citrus, beets and pomegranates are packed with nutrients and full of fresh flavors. Starting the day with a bright and colorful meal starts the day on the right track. I grab a few beautiful kale leaves from my garden and add them to my breakfast. During the week I love to start the day with a green smoothie, but on the weekends I often make a kale, egg and cheese scramble.
Simple flavors and a few fresh ingredients create a breakfast scramble that is nutritious and delicious. I love egg scrambles because they are easy and work well for dinner too. I love adding whatever fresh vegetables I have available, but freshly picked kale is one of my favorite additions to an egg scramble.
I used Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar for this scramble. I love using this cheese because it is perfect for cooking and adds a subtle hint of sweetness.
Kale, Egg and Cheese Scramble
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 heaping cup kale, destemmed and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, I used Kerrygold Skellig Cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until well beaten. Stir in the peppers; set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and diced onion. Cook for one minute. Add the kale to the pan, toss and cook for a few minutes until the kale starts to wilt. Pour egg mixture into skillet and scramble until the eggs begin to set. Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and cook until the eggs are fully cooked. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.